Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
pms pms is offline

Default Widow Orphan Control in Text Boxes

I have several lengthy documents that need to be set up in text boxes. I
cannot figure out how to control the widow/orphan function in these text
boxes. The feature is checked, but I still end up having widow and orphans in
my documents. Any ideas? Thanks, PMS
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

*Why* do you need to use text boxes for this? It sounds a dreadful idea.
Frames or tables might work better for you - at least they are in the text
layer of the document.

PMS wrote:
I have several lengthy documents that need to be set up in text
boxes. I cannot figure out how to control the widow/orphan function
in these text boxes. The feature is checked, but I still end up
having widow and orphans in my documents. Any ideas? Thanks, PMS

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
pms pms is offline

The text needs to flow from one page to the next - in some cases these forms
are 19 pages long. They are policy endorsements that need to have a link to
an issuing company logo at the top and page number footers at the bottom. The
endorsements are frequently modified and this is the easiest way to make sure
text is not lost in cutting and pasting to a new page.

PMS wrote:
I have several lengthy documents that need to be set up in text
boxes. I cannot figure out how to control the widow/orphan function
in these text boxes. The feature is checked, but I still end up
having widow and orphans in my documents. Any ideas? Thanks, PMS

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Unless you're doing something extremely odd with this document, you should
be putting your logo in the header and the page number in the footer and the
rest of the text in the document body--no need for text boxes.

PMS wrote:
I have several lengthy documents that need to be set up in text
boxes. I cannot figure out how to control the widow/orphan function
in these text boxes. The feature is checked, but I still end up
having widow and orphans in my documents. Any ideas? Thanks, PMS

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
pms pms is offline

I cannot put the logo in the header because it is a merge document that links
a logo for a variety of companies. The link does not resolve if it is in a
header.

PMS wrote:
I have several lengthy documents that need to be set up in text
boxes. I cannot figure out how to control the widow/orphan function
in these text boxes. The feature is checked, but I still end up
having widow and orphans in my documents. Any ideas? Thanks, PMS

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

This could perhaps be accomplished by a REF or STYLEREF field in the header
that picks up merge data in the document body. Alternatively, can you insert
the logo as a wrapped object or in a frame anchored to the body text but
placed in the header area?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Unless you're doing something extremely odd with this document, you

should
be putting your logo in the header and the page number in the footer and

the
rest of the text in the document body--no need for text boxes.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

PMS wrote:
I have several lengthy documents that need to be set up in text
boxes. I cannot figure out how to control the widow/orphan

function
in these text boxes. The feature is checked, but I still end up
having widow and orphans in my documents. Any ideas? Thanks, PMS

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This shouldn't be a problem either - there will almost certainly be a way to
resolve this issue using conditional fields. How does the merge determine
what logo to use for a given record?

Test boxes do not work properly in merge documents because they are in the
graphics layer of the document. This whole document needs to be rethought
along the lines Suzanne indicated.