Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Default converting the font style on a typed document

Of course, with "readable HTML" and similar expressions, I mean that I
can read the plain text (the contents) of the file; I am *not* saying
that the HTML tags themselves are (or aren't) readable.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Good to know that there is a solution. I'm still a bit confused

about
this, though. I tested in Word 2003 and I found that if I apply a
symbol font and then reapply a non-symbol font (or press

Ctrl+SpaceBar
to revert to style), I'll get a document with boxes instead of
characters (as we've already established). Also, saving as HTML
produces a document whose HTML cannot be read (in a text editor such
as NotePad).

However, if I re-apply the symbol font (in the document with boxes
instead of characters) and then save as HTML I seem to get readable
HTML code, which can be pasted into a new document (after manually
removing the HTML/XML tags, of course). So unless I completely

missed
a step, it does seem to be possible to recreate the *text* of the
document manually (though time-consuming).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Stefan,

I have to admit that I did my testing in Word 2000, and it

certainly
produced readable HTML code, which I could copy from NotePad. (I

had to
remove tags applied to the text, of course.) I guess recent

versions are
better at Unicode, and therefore make it more complicated...

Thanks for replying to this, because yesterday garfield-an-odie

posted a
link to a KB article with a macro to "convert" the Unicode back to

plain
text. I was worried whether I could find this thread again... and

thanks to
you, I have!
WD2002: Symbol Characters Are Changed to Box Characters
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290978

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 8

2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow

question or