Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Wood Jim Wood is offline

Default Overprinting in folded booklet

I have a 24-page folded booklet (six 8.5 x 11 sheets) that was originally
created in Word 2003. It 'ported over' to my new Vista machine and Word 2007
just fine, and I continued to make changes in the document. I saved it as
both a .doc and .docx format, and on the screen there seems to be no
difference between the two, either in the Print Layout mode, where is where I
type, or in the Print Preview mode.

But when I go to print, the .docx has several facing pages where text or
images hop over to the other side of the sheet, overpringint onto what's
already there. This happens whether I print with my HP ink jet or with one
of three different PDF (virtual) printers. The .doc, saved like a Word 2003
document, prints just fine, and both versions look identical in the Print
Preview mode. It's just the .docx that actually prints incorrectly. Is
there something in the .docx that 'looks' different to the printers? I'd
love to get to the bottom of this, as I have several similar booklets created
in Word 2003. Fortunately, if they are kept as .doc files, everything is
fine.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is a known problem with no known cause, and the only solution is the
one you have already discovered: to save in Word 97-2003 .doc format.

It would be nice to think that MS is furiously working on a fix, but
problems that have a workaround (and don't crash the app or cause loss of
data) rarely command much attention or resources.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jim Wood" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Wood Jim Wood is offline

Thanks, Suzanne;

In a way it's a comfort to know that it's not "something I did".

Jim

"Jim Wood" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can imagine that this would be really frustrating if your booklet involved
any of the new Word 2007 features or art. Another workaround that might work
is the general one for printing specific pages of a booklet: In a copy of
the "Book fold" document, change the "Multiple pages" setting from "Book
fold" to "2 pages per sheet." Then enter the numbers of the specific pages
needed (in the requisite order) in the Pages box in the Print dialog. For
example, to print the outside pages of a 24-page booklet, you'd enter
"24,1" or (if duplexing) "24,1,2,23" (without the quotation marks).

http://word.mvps.org

"Jim Wood" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Wood Jim Wood is offline

Well, I tried that and still get overprinting with certain pages. One
requiremet is to be able to print 2 pages per sheet for a "reading" PDF to be
included on a software installation disc. Printed from a .docx, both book
fold and 2-per still overprint. It does seem that certain pages cause the
problem, however; If page 15 is printed with any other page, it will be
overprinted; that is, 'suck in' the material off the facing page. The pages
that give problems seem to be those with photos or illustrations, but not all
pages with illustrations do this. I wonder why the problem does not show up
in Print Preview. Must have to do with embedded commands to the printer, and
shouldn't be hard to find and fix.

"Jim Wood" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As I understand it, the pictures that migrate (or get "sucked" onto facing
pages) are wrapped rather than inline. If you can figure out a way to make
the graphics inline (or even try putting them wrapped frames or table cells
instead of wrapping them directly), that might be a partial solution.

http://word.mvps.org

news

"Jim Wood" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Wood Jim Wood is offline

Yes, that's right. I took your suggestion and changed all illustrations that
are one column wide to 'in line.' That worked; they stayed put. Then I made
2-column tables for the others. I lost the ability to wrap text around the
picture; the column of text just goes straight down until it finishes,
leaving blank space under the picture. I tried printing that and it still
messed up.

I would really like to understand this, and of course find some way of
fixing it, but at this point feel that I should simply save the file as a
..doc for printing and get on with the job. I can continue to edit in the
2007 mode, using and learning the new features, and then just do a Save As at
the end to print. Too bad there isn't a way to build a fire under the
developers to get this sorted out. Cajoles and threats, perhaps? Many
thanks for your help and attention.

Jim

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As I understand it, the pictures that migrate (or get "sucked" onto facing
pages) are wrapped rather than inline. If you can figure out a way to make
the graphics inline (or even try putting them wrapped frames or table cells
instead of wrapping them directly), that might be a partial solution.

http://word.mvps.org

news