Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gordo gordo is offline

Default Font color button

Is there a way to change the font color button in the font group to black as
the default, permanently. I cannot find anything. Perhaps there is a
registry value. There does not seem to be a way to change the normal.dotm
file.

Thanks,

Gordo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Assuming that you are using Word 2007 or later, do the following: Press
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S to display the Styles pane. Click the Manage Styles icon.
On the Set Defaults tab, make the desired changes. Select "New documents
based on this template," and then click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"gordo" wrote in message ...

Is there a way to change the font color button in the font group to black
as the default, permanently. I cannot find anything. Perhaps there is a
registry value. There does not seem to be a way to change the normal.dotm
file.

Thanks,

Gordo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gordo gordo is offline

Thanks Stefan, but I guess I was not quite clear. I would like to change the
Font Color button, in the Font Group. It is the upper case A, underlined in
red with the drop down arrow. I believe that your suggestion applies to the
default font color for text that you type.

And yes, I did forget to state which version of Word, it is 2010.

Thanks,

Gordo

"gordo" wrote in message ...

Is there a way to change the font color button in the font group to black
as the default, permanently. I cannot find anything. Perhaps there is a
registry value. There does not seem to be a way to change the normal.dotm
file.

Thanks,

Gordo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gordo gordo is offline

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message

The underline of the Font Color button shows whichever color you most
recently applied (and defaults to red when you reopen the file).

Yes, I realize that. I want to change the default to black so that when I
open Word, it shows black instead of red.

Gordo

On Feb 8, 9:33 am, "gordo" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"gordo" wrote in message ...

I want to change the default to black so that when I open Word, it shows
black instead of red.

There is a "Font color" choice on the Set Defaults tab of the Manage Styles
dialog box. Did you try it? You'll need to select "New documents based on
this template" to save the option to the attached template (which for blank
documents is Normal.dotm). I'm assuming that you are using Word 2007 or
2010.

What you can't do, however, is change the default color that *Word* applies
if you click the Font Color button on the Home tab.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message ...

What you can't do, however, is change the default color that *Word*
applies if you click the Font Color button on the Home tab.

In other words, you will have to click the arrow (so that the drop down menu
displays) and then pick the color you want.

Obviously, modifying the document defaults (or a style) will be a lot
easier.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gordo gordo is offline

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message ...

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message ...

What you can't do, however, is change the default color that *Word*
applies if you click the Font Color button on the Home tab.

That is what I was afraid of. Oh well. The vast majority of my use of the
Font Color button is changing a font to black. The text is mostly from
copying something from web sites.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Gordo

In other words, you will have to click the arrow (so that the drop down menu
displays) and then pick the color you want.

Obviously, modifying the document defaults (or a style) will be a lot
easier.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Teaching users to paste in plain text format might be helpful, assuming that
they mostly paste text, of course.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"gordo" wrote in message

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message ...

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message ...

What you can't do, however, is change the default color that *Word*
applies if you click the Font Color button on the Home tab.

That is what I was afraid of. Oh well. The vast majority of my use of the
Font Color button is changing a font to black. The text is mostly from
copying something from web sites.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Gordo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you copy something from a web site, use Paste Special and not
Ctrl-V, and the only annoying thing from the web page's formatting
that will come through is the paragraph breaks, often after every
line.

You can assign a keyboard shortcut (does Ctrl-Shift-V do anything for
you now?) and/or put its icon on your QAT.

On Feb 9, 9:49*am, "gordo" wrote:
"Stefan Blom" *wrote in ...
"Stefan Blom" *wrote in ...

What you can't do, however, is change the default color that *Word*
applies if you click the Font Color button on the Home tab.

That is what I was afraid of. Oh well. The vast majority of my use of the
Font Color button is changing a font to black. The text is mostly from
copying something from web sites.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Gordo

In other words, you will have to click the arrow (so that the drop down menu
displays) and then pick the color you want.

Obviously, modifying the document defaults (or a style) will be a lot
easier.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message

When you copy something from a web site, use Paste Special [---]

Or you could make use of a macro to ensure that you always paste in plain
text format:

Sub PastePlainTextOnly()
On Error Resume Next
Selection.PasteSpecial DataType:=wdPasteText
End Sub

Running the macro will be easy if you assign it to a QAT button and/or
associate it with a keyboard shortcut. For more, see
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP