Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JR Hester JR Hester is offline

Default '07 styles, Arghhhh!

Word '07 on WinXP

How do I get an standard Heading One style in '07? I am editing a document
originally created in WordXP. I used Heading1 style as my major section
headings-- some might refere to these as Chapters. My 'chapters' are called
"Workshops". I can't find a way to remove the CHAPTER text from the beginning
of each Workshop line in the document. The real frustrating issu is that this
does not occur on every instance of my previous Heading1 sytle lines, just
every other one!

Is there a way to revert to my preferred Workshop 1, Workshop 2 layout? Or
should I must I use Microsofts CHAPTER headings now?

Thank you for yoru kind suggestions
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?SlIgSGVzdGVy?=,

How do I get an standard Heading One style in '07? I am editing a document
originally created in WordXP. I used Heading1 style as my major section
headings-- some might refere to these as Chapters. My 'chapters' are called
"Workshops". I can't find a way to remove the CHAPTER text from the beginning
of each Workshop line in the document. The real frustrating issu is that this
does not occur on every instance of my previous Heading1 sytle lines, just
every other one!

Is there a way to revert to my preferred Workshop 1, Workshop 2 layout? Or
should I must I use Microsofts CHAPTER headings now?

If you go to the "Multilevel list" button on the Word 2007 Ribbon, then click
the arrow, you see various selections. One of these default selections contains
the word "Chapter" as part of the numbering definition.

You could choose a different preview that would not include text.

Or you can select the menu item below the galleries "Define new Multilevel
list". If you do that you can replace "Chapter" with anything you like.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JR Hester JR Hester is offline

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. The "style' or "format"
that I really want has nothing to do with lists or list formats-- just
straight heading styles. I realized that in Word 07, any time I apply a
heading style to a line of text Word AUTOMAICALLY decides I want this to be a
LIST style also.. I just have to turn off the list option every time I select
a heading style. Another one of those improvements requiring me to undo a
default every time I use the Heading style. That's progress I guess.

Is there a default setting somewhere that will allow me to use headings
without the list style?

Thanks again fo rpoint me in the right direction

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?SlIgSGVzdGVy?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To clear numbering from your headings (if that is what you are trying to do),
you can use the Modify Style dialog box (this was also possible in earlier
versions of Word).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JR Hester" wrote:

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. The "style' or "format"
that I really want has nothing to do with lists or list formats-- just
straight heading styles. I realized that in Word 07, any time I apply a
heading style to a line of text Word AUTOMAICALLY decides I want this to be a
LIST style also.. I just have to turn off the list option every time I select
a heading style. Another one of those improvements requiring me to undo a
default every time I use the Heading style. That's progress I guess.

Is there a default setting somewhere that will allow me to use headings
without the list style?

Thanks again fo rpoint me in the right direction

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?SlIgSGVzdGVy?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?SlIgSGVzdGVy?=,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. The "style' or "format"
that I really want has nothing to do with lists or list formats-- just
straight heading styles. I realized that in Word 07, any time I apply a
heading style to a line of text Word AUTOMAICALLY decides I want this to be a
LIST style also.. I just have to turn off the list option every time I select
a heading style. Another one of those improvements requiring me to undo a
default every time I use the Heading style. That's progress I guess.

Is there a default setting somewhere that will allow me to use headings
without the list style?

Well, believe it or not, the default actually is *without* the list style.

It's hard for me to give you advice at this point because I'm not exactly sure
what you've done in this document, or in Word...

If you start a new document may I assume that the association isn't there? When
you click a Heading style in the Styles list on the Home tab or from the Styles
task pane there's no numbering of any kind?