Top Spin

Default How to do Q&A, quizzes, exercises, elaborations, etc.?

I am writing a textbook in Word 2000, soon to be Word 2003. I want to
make the mainline of the text as brief and concise as possible, but I
would also like to provide additional information such as is often put
into footnotes, side bars, appendices, etc.

I want this supplementary information to be out of the main text. I
don't want to clutter up the mainline text with sidebars or footnotes
or any such device.

Ideally, I would like the whole thing to be electronic so that I can
put hypertext tags in the document and the user can drill down when
needed, but that is not feasible right now.

In the meantime, I would appreciate suggestions for the best way to
structure this document.

I would like to put all of the supplementary information in an
appendix in some kind of numbered list so that I can put references to
the individual item in the main line text, like an endnote or header
reference. Some of the information will be just a sentence or two, but
some may be more than a page.

I have used numbered lists and headers, but I have had problems with
the references getting all screwed up or even having Word crash if the
text gets moved around very much.

Can anyone suggest a way to approach this that is reliable?

Thanks

--
Running Word 2K SP-3 (9.0.6926)
PC: HP Omnibook 6000
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)
jay

use OpenOffice? Frame? Ventura?

(oh- you don't want to use sidebars, etc...)
hmm- maybe use footnotes with a brief note, and a link to the appendix
where the expanded material is? The link could refer the reader to
chapter/page number, or whatever.
This way, it should be as reliable as footnotes, anyway.
cheers
Jay

Daiya Mitchell

What's wrong with using endnotes? Which work just like footnotes, only the
text is at the end of the document instead of the bottom of the page.

I believe if you then Save as HTML, the endnotes become hyperlinks.

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word