Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mercy Mercy is offline

Default Page numbering option disappeared

Hello, I use Word v. 11.3 (070131) for Mac and I've been using Word almost
since the first release. I always could number the pages of a document simply
by clicking on "insert" and then "number pages." There was a quick, easy
option for telling Word whether you wanted the number in the header or
footer. Suddenly that option has disappeared from my word "insert" tab. How
do I fix this? Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If Word for Mac works essentially the same as Word for Windows, choose
Tools - Customize - Toolbars tab. In the list of Toolbars, there should be
one named Menu Bar. The quickest way to restore page numbers to the menu is
to click on Menu Bar in that list and then click on Reset.

If you've customized the menu, then you can restore just that one missing
command to avoid wiping out your customizations. Click on the Commands tab.
Set Categories to Insert. Under Commands, find Page Numbers... (assuming you
want the identical command) and drag it up to the Insert item on the menu.
When Insert expands, drop Page Numbers... back on the menu. Originally, it
was 2nd from the top.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Mercy" wrote in message
Hello, I use Word v. 11.3 (070131) for Mac and I've been using Word almost
since the first release. I always could number the pages of a document
simply
by clicking on "insert" and then "number pages." There was a quick, easy
option for telling Word whether you wanted the number in the header or
footer. Suddenly that option has disappeared from my word "insert" tab.
How
do I fix this? Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

First make sure you didn't accidentally turn on "Word 5.1 Menus". Look
under View to see if there's a check next to that option. If that isn't
the problem:

If you go to Tools | Customize Toolbars/Menus, select the Menu Bar, and
click Reset, it should set all your main menus and built-in toolbars
back to the default.

If you have customized your menus or toolbars, you may want to explore
the Tools | Customize, Commands dialog, and drag the commands you are
missing back to the toolbars/menus yourself, rather than wipe out your
customizations by clicking Reset.

By the way, there are Mac-specific groups--if my first suggestion
worked, that's a Mac-only issue--so sometimes is it better to post in
the Mac groups.
See here for Google/Entourage gateway to newsgroups for MacWord,
MacExcel, and other MS programs for the Mac:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups