Maree

Default Insert ASCII code

How do I insert an ASCII code when using a laptop without a numeric keypad?
Shauna Kelly

Hi Maree

It depends on the individual laptop keyboard.

On mine, the numeric keys (otherwise m, j, k, l etc) have numbers displayed
in a square border on the keys. That indicates that these keys will only
work as numbers when NumLock is on. So, I first have to turn on NumLock. To
do that, I see that there's a key with "num lk" in a square, and a Fn
(Function) key also with a square around it. So, I hold down the Fn key and
press the num lk key. Now, I can use the good old Alt + numeric keys to get
a symbol. Then, I have to turn off Num Lock (Fn + num lk key) to return to
ordinary typing.

If you have to do this often, it could drive you mad. There are two ways to
cope. First, at Insert Symbol, find the symbol you want and then click
Shortcut Key to create a shortcut key for your symbol. Or, insert your
symbol into a document, select it (just select the symbol, not an
end-of-paragraph marker too), then do Alt-F3 to save it as an AutoText. For
example, you could name, say, the Trade Mark sign as tmark, and you can
enter your AutoText easily using that name. For more on AutoTexts, see

Using AutoText
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/AutoText.htm

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Maree" wrote in message
How do I insert an ASCII code when using a laptop without a numeric
keypad?

Tony Jollans

Shauna is correct; most, if not all, laptops do have a numeric keypad hidden
away.

A couple of other alternatives:

If you know the hexadecimal character code you can enter it followed by
Alt+x to convert it to the character

Or you can use the Windows On Screen Keyboard. Press the Windows Key + r (or
go via Start Run) and enter osk. You can then use the mouse on the full
displayed keyboard.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Maree" wrote in message
How do I insert an ASCII code when using a laptop without a numeric
keypad?

Eric White

If none of the above options work, or if you don't feel comfortable using
them, look for the Character Map program that has come standard with Windows
its beginnings. It is usually "hidden" away in Start - Accessories. This
is also a great way to get the ALT character codes that Tony was talking
about. Choose a character and it will (if the character is in the ASCII
gamut) show you the number in the lower portion of the dialogue.

How do I insert an ASCII code when using a laptop without a numeric keypad?

In addition to everything Shauna, Tony, and Eric have said, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm. Also, note that there
is a built-in keyboard shortcut for the trademark symbol (Alt+Ctrl+T) as
well as an AutoCorrect entry: (tm).