Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
g0nzo g0nzo is offline

Default How to put caption on the side of the equation?

I'm using Word 2007 BTR2 and unfortunately there's still no option to create
a caption next to the equation. Will this option be available in the final
version of Word 2007?

I've found few other questions about it and one of the answers was to use 2
columns - first for the equation, second for the caption.

How can I i.e. create a caption like this "(1)" instead of just "1"? How can
I vertically align caption in the second column to the center of the column?

Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The usual answer is to use a Table, with one row and two cells, and no
border. Not columns, which are different, and require section breaks, better
avoided for such a use. You can give the cells different alignment settings
easily enough--just select the text and set as desired.

I doubt any new features will be added to Word 2007 at this late date.

One method to get (1) instead of 1--not sure this is the best as I have
little experience with figures.

Use Insert | Caption. Hit alt-F9 to see the field code for what you just
did. It should be something like
Figure { SEQ Figure \* Arabic }

Manually type parens outside the curly braces--that's the field that
generates the numbers. Alt-F9 again to see the result, make sure you are
happy with it.

Copy and paste that edited field for future captions, or save it as a
formatted autocorrect or autotext.

I quick-tested a Table of Figures--the parens also show up there, but it
seems all fine.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In case the document also contains figure captions, it is better to
have a SEQ field specific for equations, with a specific identifier;
otherwise, numbering will interfere.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

.. .

On 10/25/06 2:35 AM, "g0nzo" wrote:

I'm using Word 2007 BTR2 and unfortunately there's still no option

to create
a caption next to the equation. Will this option be available in

the final
version of Word 2007?

I've found few other questions about it and one of the answers was

to use 2
columns - first for the equation, second for the caption.

How can I i.e. create a caption like this "(1)" instead of just

"1"? How can
I vertically align caption in the second column to the center of

the column?

Thanks in advance

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
g0nzo g0nzo is offline

Thank you.

However, I still got a small problem. I created an empty table with 2 cells
and line-spacing 1.0 and saved it as a quick-part, so now I can insert it
using Insert-Table-Quick Tables. However I get no spacing between the table
and the following paragraph. I need to manually "Add space before paragraph"
and most of the time it looks ok, but sometimes the space added before the
paragraph is very small and the table almost touches it. Is there a way to
create and save this table in such a way, that it will have proper (equal)
spacing before and after? If the equation is not inside the table, the
spacing is correct, so I assume that it can be somehow done.

Is it possible to create a macro (I've never used them before in any Office
application), so I could just select an equation and it would automatically
insert it into a table, create a caption for it and put this caption in a
separate cell?

Thank you in advance.

On 10/25/06 2:35 AM, "g0nzo" wrote:

I'm using Word 2007 BTR2 and unfortunately there's still no option to create
a caption next to the equation. Will this option be available in the final
version of Word 2007?

I've found few other questions about it and one of the answers was to use 2
columns - first for the equation, second for the caption.

How can I i.e. create a caption like this "(1)" instead of just "1"? How can
I vertically align caption in the second column to the center of the column?

Thanks in advance

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

One way to solve this problem is to create a specific style to use for
all paragraphs following immediately after a table, and specify the
desired Spacing Before for that style.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

On 10/25/06 2:35 AM, "g0nzo" wrote:

I'm using Word 2007 BTR2 and unfortunately there's still no

option to create
a caption next to the equation. Will this option be available

in the final
version of Word 2007?

I've found few other questions about it and one of the answers

was to use 2
columns - first for the equation, second for the caption.

How can I i.e. create a caption like this "(1)" instead of just

"1"? How can
I vertically align caption in the second column to the center of

the column?

Thanks in advance

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dahu l''''''''Arthropode Dahu l''''''''Arthropode is offline

"g0nzo" wrote:

However I get no spacing between the table
and the following paragraph. I need to manually "Add space before paragraph"

* I suppose you could do without a table. The caption is just ordinary text,
that could be before or after the equation object. You could use
left/right/center (as needed) tabs for homegeneous placement and alignment.
Make the position of tabs part of a style definition.

* If you really need the table for some reason (e.g. vertical alignment), I
suppose you do not want the boudaries of the table to be visible. Then, why
not set a margin (Table Properties/Call/Options)? The only problem is that
you get some uncessary spacing when the table is at the top of the page.

Dahu
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A table is helpful because if you put the equation and caption in the same
paragraph, then, by default, any cross-reference to the equation caption
quotes the entire equation as well (though this can be worked around as
well).

"Dahu l''''''''Arthropode" wrote
in message ...

"g0nzo" wrote:

However I get no spacing between the table
and the following paragraph. I need to manually "Add space before

paragraph"

* I suppose you could do without a table. The caption is just ordinary

text,
that could be before or after the equation object. You could use
left/right/center (as needed) tabs for homegeneous placement and

alignment.
Make the position of tabs part of a style definition.

* If you really need the table for some reason (e.g. vertical alignment),

suppose you do not want the boudaries of the table to be visible. Then,

why
not set a margin (Table Properties/Call/Options)? The only problem is that
you get some uncessary spacing when the table is at the top of the page.

Dahu

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lanmat lanmat is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill;7144163 Wrote:
A table is helpful because if you put the equation and caption in the
same
paragraph, then, by default, any cross-reference to the equation
caption
quotes the entire equation as well (though this can be worked around
as
well).

...Any further explanations on this? I'd love to be able to cross
reference my equations without using a table.

I thought of manually making a hidden field right before the left paren
and then using the \c (repeat last) flag inside the paren, like this:

{ SEQ Eqn \h}({ SEQ Eqn \c })

then selecting "only caption text" when inserting a cross-reference,
but it didn't work. Nothing showed up under the "Eqn" list of available
references. I'm guessing this is because the field is hidden?

Anyways, I'd love some advice on how to do this without tables.

--
lanmat
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Using a hidden SEQ field is a clever idea, but, apparently, Word
doesn't "see" hidden SEQ fields for cross-reference purposes.

I'm not 100% sure what work-around Suzanne had in mind (that doesn't
include tables), but here's one: you can manually add a bookmark
around the correct piece of text and then cross-reference the text of
that bookmark.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"lanmat" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's an extension of the idea in
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/CombineXrefs.htm: you can reassign the
bookmarks that Word creates to be around just the text you want included.

"lanmat" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Thanks for clarifying this. Personally, I've always found it easier to
manually insert a bookmark, though.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
It's an extension of the idea in
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/CombineXrefs.htm: you can

reassign the
bookmarks that Word creates to be around just the text you want

included.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.