Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doc Carolyn Doc Carolyn is offline

Default update table of contents

I have made a few changes to my document and wanted to simply update the TOC
page numbers, as the content was not changed. However, the menu options no
longer are showing update page numbers. I had been able to update only page
numbers previously. I was reading some of the comments on the discussion
board and tried alt F9, which seemed to completely erase my table of
contents. I was not permitted to undo the action. I closed the document
without saving changes, but when I reopened it, the TOC was no longer there.
Instead there is a line as follows: {TOC/0 "1-3"\h\z\u}. I know that the TOC
is still there because if I cut and past this line onto another document, it
reappears. How can I undo the alt F9, get back by TOC and update just the
page numbers? Please help. This is the final revision of my doctoral
dissertation, which I need to submit. I am almost ready to manually create a
TOC. This is becoming very frustrating.

Thanks in advance.
Carolyn
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

Alt-F9 is a toggle to display or hide field codes. It is not
document-specific but rather applies to Word.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.