KJ

Default Multiple Index with cookbook

I am working on a recipe book with over 700 entries. I have tried
automarking the entries €“ that will only allow one Table of Contents and one
Index €“ and I would like to have two. It also puts the page number in for
the Author when I set it as an Index, if I set it as a Table of Contents I
can have the authors name followed by the recipe but it does not group them
by authors name an I can only get one Table of Contents to work at a time
when I want two. I want two so that when I print to PDF I get the bookmarks
to move over already set.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you,
KJ

Thanks, Kari

Daiya Mitchell

Can you give a sample of how you want each item to look? (From your
question, I can't even tell whether you want two TOCs or two Indexes or
both, but don't worry about that--just give some sample entries for each
item, and say where you want it in the book).

On 5/26/05 7:24 AM, "KJ" wrote:

I am working on a recipe book with over 700 entries. I have tried
automarking the entries * that will only allow one Table of Contents and one
Index * and I would like to have two. It also puts the page number in for
the Author when I set it as an Index, if I set it as a Table of Contents I
can have the author¹s name followed by the recipe but it does not group them
by author¹s name an I can only get one Table of Contents to work at a time

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

KJ

Here is a more detailed description of what I am trying to accomplish

I want to place these types of indices into the document so that when I
print it to a pdf the links will follow it. The Authors names have a
special style applied to them and I have a separate file with all of the
authors names in it AND I have them alphbetized €“ when I make the index it
re-alphabetizes it by the first name (the first name is first in the actual
document). I would like it to keep the sort order I have set up in the
separate file with the names in it.

I would then like to put a second index into the document that is very
similar except that instead of listing the recipes by author it will list
them by type of food, like chicken recipes will all be together and the
cholcolate recipes will be together €“ I have a separate file with the types
and groups together.

I am can not understand how to mark and generate the index entries to get
these lists.

Authors Index
Eric and Gail Arner
Cream Cheese And Onion Dip Pg #x
Carrot Sheet Cake Pg #x
Winter Fruit Salad Pg #x
Janna Babcock
Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake Pg #x
Mushroom Steak Pg #x
Crunch Topping Pg #x
Cranberry Feta Pinwheels Pg #x
Cheesy Crockpot Chicken Pg #x
Jim Bailey
Jims Chili-Cheese Dip Pg #x
Linda Bailey
Traditional Cranberry Salad Pg #x
Kay Benjamin
Hot Artichoke Dip Pg #x
Crockpot Roast Pg #x
Poppyseed Chicken Pg #x
One Dish Chicken And Rice Bake Pg #x
Kerrie Bennett
Jennifers Baked Potato Soup Pg #x
Stuffed Spud Soup Pg #x
Cola Chicken Pg #x
Grandma Mills Sugar Cookies Pg #x
Mexican Chicken Breasts Pg #x

Main Ingredient Index
Beef
Mom's Meatloaf Pg #x
Mushroom Steak Pg #x
No Peek Oven Stew
Original Plaza III Steak Soup Pg #x
Plaza III Steak Soup Pg #x
Sherried Beef Pg #x
Sloppy Joes Pg #x
Soccer Mom Roast Pg #x
Steak Soup Pg #x
Terry Reuter's Sloppy Joes Pg #x
Tortilla Soup Pg #x
Trappers' Peak Tenderloin Pg #x
Bread
Angel Biscuits Pg #x
Bagels Pg #x
Banana Nut Bread Pg #x
Beer Bread Pg #x
Biscotti Pg #x
Bisquick Balls Pg #x

-----------
Pastrami Cheese Ball

Linda Edgell

3 pkg. Buddig or deli pastrami
1/2 c. sour cream
2 Tbsp. chopped pecans
2 Tbsp. green onions
8 oz. softened cream cheese
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 c. green pepper

Chop pastrami, green pepper, onions and pecans. Add the remaining
ingredients. Refrigerate for a few hours to blend flavors. Serve with
crackers.

Baked Brie With Apples

Deborah Reiman

2 lb. wheel of Brie
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. softened butter
2 c. chopped pecans
1 1/2 apples, cut into chunks

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Soften butter and mix in brown sugar and pecans
to form a crumbly mixture. Add apple chunks and spread mixture over the Brie
wheel. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with crackers.

Hope this better clarifies my problem.

Thank you for your help,

KJ

On 5/26/05 7:24 AM, "KJ" wrote:

I am working on a recipe book with over 700 entries. I have tried
automarking the entries Â* that will only allow one Table of Contents and one
Index Â* and I would like to have two. It also puts the page number in for
the Author when I set it as an Index, if I set it as a Table of Contents I
can have the author¹s name followed by the recipe but it does not group them
by author¹s name an I can only get one Table of Contents to work at a time
when I want two. I want two so that when I print to PDF I get the bookmarks
to move over already set.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you,
KJ

Thanks, Kari

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Daiya Mitchell

Okay, that clarifies a lot, though I cut down some of your info. Maybe
someone else will come along with some good ideas, because I'm kinda stumped
for an easy way to do this.

I can see one path, but it involves doing a whole lotta stuff by hand,
extremely repetitively, and with a lot of formatting at the end which would
be cancelled if you accidentally updated the index--and essentially, it'd be
easier to type it yourself. Since you already have the structure done, and
just need to enter all the recipe names in the right places, you might as
well.

To build the index, you would need to enter each recipe name as a subentry
for the author name. Either creating the index fields by hand, or possibly
by creating a concordance file that looked like:

cheese: Pastrami Cheese Ball
cheese: Baked Brie With Apples
Reiman, Deborah: Baked Brie With Apples
Reiman, Deborah: Other Recipe Name

Creating the concordance file alone would be as much or more work as making
the indices yourself.

Word would still generate an index that mixed Cheese and Meat in with
Reiman, Deborah and Edgell, Linda, so you would need to re-sort that out by
hand after generating the index.

Word doesn't do a hyperlinked index--so even if you built the index, those
page numbers would not be clickable in Word. So I think you would have to
set each recipe name appearing in the index as a hyperlink back to that
recipe (much easier to do than hyperlinked page numbers, actually), but
still a lot of work, I think.

If you are willing to learn macros/VBA, it's possible someone could help you
develop some macros to take over some of the grunt work, but that probably
wouldn't actually save any time.

It's conceivable that generating a TOC and then manipulating that into the
form you want would save you some work, but I'm not sure how successful that
would be--making it possible to manipulate might erase the hyperlinks.

Maybe someone who knows more has better ideas.

On 5/26/05 12:39 PM, "KJ" wrote:

Here is a more detailed description of what I am trying to accomplish

I want to place these types of indices into the document so that when I
print it to a pdf the links will follow it. The Author¹s names have a
special style applied to them and I have a separate file with all of the
author¹s names in it AND I have them alphbetized * when I make the index it
re-alphabetizes it by the first name (the first name is first in the actual
document). I would like it to keep the sort order I have set up in the
separate file with the names in it.

I would then like to put a second index into the document that is very
similar except that instead of listing the recipes by author it will list
them by type of food, like chicken recipes will all be together and the
cholcolate recipes will be together * I have a separate file with the types
and groups together.

I am can not understand how to mark and generate the index entries to get
these lists.

Author¹s Index

Eric and Gail Arner
Cream Cheese And Onion Dip Pg #x
Carrot Sheet Cake Pg #x
Winter Fruit Salad Pg #x

Main Ingredient Index

Bread
Angel Biscuits Pg #x
Bagels Pg #x
Banana Nut Bread Pg #x
Beer Bread Pg #x
Biscotti Pg #x
Bisquick Balls Pg #x

KJ

Thank you for putting so much time and effort into my problem. I will give
your suggestions a try.

KJ

On 5/26/05 12:39 PM, "KJ" wrote:

Here is a more detailed description of what I am trying to accomplish

I want to place these types of indices into the document so that when I
print it to a pdf the links will follow it. The Author¹s names have a
special style applied to them and I have a separate file with all of the
author¹s names in it AND I have them alphbetized Â* when I make the index it
re-alphabetizes it by the first name (the first name is first in the actual
document). I would like it to keep the sort order I have set up in the
separate file with the names in it.

I would then like to put a second index into the document that is very
similar except that instead of listing the recipes by author it will list
them by type of food, like chicken recipes will all be together and the
cholcolate recipes will be together Â* I have a separate file with the types