Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wal[_2_] wal[_2_] is offline

Default Footnote number formatting changes spontaneously

Word 2003

Using the dialog at Insert menu Reference Footnote, I inserted the
first footnote in my document with the asterisk/cross/etc. "number"
formatting and set the numbering to Restart Each Page. Thereafter, I
used Ctrl-Alt-F to insert subsequent footnotes, and the same
formatting appeared, no problem.

When I close and reopen the document, however, the footnote references
become numerals and are Continuous throughout the document. How can I
make the formatting I want stick?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is very strange. You should treat the document as corrupt; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"wal" wrote in message
Word 2003

Using the dialog at Insert menu Reference Footnote, I inserted the
first footnote in my document with the asterisk/cross/etc. "number"
formatting and set the numbering to Restart Each Page. Thereafter, I
used Ctrl-Alt-F to insert subsequent footnotes, and the same
formatting appeared, no problem.

When I close and reopen the document, however, the footnote references
become numerals and are Continuous throughout the document. How can I
make the formatting I want stick?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wal[_2_] wal[_2_] is offline

Thanks.

Self-inflicted corruption. Long ago, I created an AutoOpen macro that
included a footnote settings subroutine. I've disabled it.

"wal" wrote in message

Word 2003

Using the dialog at Insert menu Reference Footnote, I inserted the
first footnote in my document with the asterisk/cross/etc. "number"
formatting and set the numbering to Restart Each Page. *Thereafter, I
used Ctrl-Alt-F to insert subsequent footnotes, and the same
formatting appeared, no problem.

When I close and reopen the document, however, the footnote references
become numerals and are Continuous throughout the document. *How can I
make the formatting I want stick?

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm glad you got it sorted, and thank you for the follow-up.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP