Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jay jay is offline

Default Large Documents

Too late to scolld or encourage. I already have several 3000+ page documentd
in Word 2007. How can I improve their performance and integrity?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

jay was telling us:
jay nous racontait que :

Too late to scolld or encourage. I already have several 3000+ page
documentd in Word 2007. How can I improve their performance and
integrity?

I am afraid that you are going to have to be a little more explicit than
that...

--
______________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What's wrong with them? Do they involve Master Documents? Are they
more than just text?

On Jun 1, 10:33*pm, jay wrote:
Too late to scolld or encourage. *I already have several 3000+ page documentd
in Word 2007. *How can I improve their performance and integrity?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jay jay is offline

Let me first explain the use. The main document is a reference only to be
used on computer, never printed. It includes text, tables, figures and
pictures. It refers to five secondary appendices of similar content but
varing sizes.

The files are a work in progress, they will grow in size and editing.

I never have used "Master Documents". Recently I tried to open the main
document to find Word telling me there was a major problem with it and Word
could not open it. I used a backup. I keeep several backup copies out of
fear.

I see two ways of going. (1) turn each chapter into its own Word file and
interconnecting them with hyperlinks or (2) use html and navigate using a
browser.

On Jun 1, 10:33 pm, jay wrote:
Too late to scolld or encourage. I already have several 3000+ page documentd
in Word 2007. How can I improve their performance and integrity?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As Jean-guy said, you really do need to be more explicit. The exact
wording of the error message you receive would be helpful.

File size rather than page count is how the bigness of a document is
described. Do the elements in it come from many sources, or were they
all created at home? in Word, other Office components, or from other
apps?

But if splitting it into smaller documents is a workable option, that
would probably go a long way toward avoiding future problems. (Do NOT
try to use Master Documents. MS no longer even bothers to tell you
how, but they've never tried to fix it, either.)

On Jun 1, 10:33 pm, jay wrote:
Too late to scolld or encourage. *I already have several 3000+ page documentd
in Word 2007. *How can I improve their performance and integrity?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

I'm chiming in here after reading later messages, but chose to respond to
the first question because no matter what the other circumstances others have
asked about, these things should be considered:

One of the most important things for long documents is having a well-
structured, tidy document. Be consistent in the formatting and make sure
content-based styles (headings, body text, lists, etc.) are consistently
applied. In the interest of tidiness, delete unused user-defined styles.
If the documents are from an older version of Word, they may contain char (or
unlinked) styles. Although not strictly a corruption, when they are present,
Word may stop correctly identifying a style or a style may change appearance
spontaneously. So, remove unlinked styles. (The good news is that styles
don't break in W2007. ) Remove empty paragraphs.

Use in-line-with-text tables and figures whenever practical. Use paragraph
borders use paragraph borders instead of drawn lines.

Depending on the state of the document and the skill of the formatter, it
could take a couple days to clean up just one of the documents. But the
payoff is future stability and ease of editing.

Pam