SteveW

Default Tool bar > Format > Theme Theme is greyed out ?

Word 2000. I'm used to using themes but at my work computer it seems themes
are not installed or disabled. When I go to Format on the tool bar the theme
option is greyed out ? How do I enable the normal professional, elegant etc
themes ? Is it possible to download a theme ? I cannot locate in downloads
at MS.

CyberTaz

It would seem that the Templates are missing or that the correct path to the
Templates folder is not set. Correcting the issue will depend on whether your
Office programs are installed on your workstation or served through a network
application server. Either way you will probably need to go through your tech
people if installation is required (available on the Office Install CD) or if
the network location needs to be remapped.

If you have Office installed on your workstation you may be able to correct
it yourself, assuming the necessary files are the

Go to ToolsOptionsFile Locations and look for User Templates in the list
box. The right column should read as C:\...\Microsoft\Templates. If it does,
it means that the necessary files are not there & will have to be installed.

If it doesn't, click on User Templates, click Modify, then navigate to (your
specific path may be a little different) C:\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates. Click OK twice and see if that makes the Themes and
Document Styles available in your menu... you may have to relaunch Word. If
that doesn't do it contact your tech folks to have the files installed.

Good Luck |:)

"SteveW" wrote:

Word 2000. I'm used to using themes but at my work computer it seems themes
are not installed or disabled. When I go to Format on the tool bar the theme
option is greyed out ? How do I enable the normal professional, elegant etc
themes ? Is it possible to download a theme ? I cannot locate in downloads
at MS.

SteveW

Thanks however the templates are not missing and the correct path is defined.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

It would seem that the Templates are missing or that the correct path to the
Templates folder is not set.

CyberTaz

Hey Steve-

Sorry the info wasn't more useful.

Have you tried selecting New from the File menu to see if the template icons
show up there? Maybe even try some of them to see whether they work. If you
haven't already been there, you might also do a physical check of C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033.

If everything is physically where it should be they may need to be
reinstalled. Perhaps some additional ideas will slip in here!

LOL |:)

"CyberTaz" wrote:

It would seem that the Templates are missing or that the correct path to the
Templates folder is not set.

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Steve,

The themes are an optional installation choice.
In Add/Remove Programs in the Winddows Control Panel
pull up the Microsoft Office 2000 choice and look
under the 'Office Tools' category to see if both
Theme categories are set to 'Run from my computer'
If not, then the Format=Theme choice in Word is
greyed out.

If that choice is checked you may want to run
a repair/reinstall from the same location.

===
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Office 2003 Editions explained
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/office/editions.mspx

SteveW

Bob Buckland I love you

That was the problem

I also solved another annoyance ... proofing in French was turned on and I
didn't need it.

Please understand I am the victim of a standard install across the place
where I work and someone in their infinite wisdom said themes didn't need to
be installed. When I inquired I was told to write a business case for this
feature. grumble mumble

Thanks Bob