Judy

Default Word 97 Labels templates dispay records in bottom margin

I've been experimenting with several different options from the Avery
product list and it seems that if there are more than enough records
selected (to fill the sheet of labels) the next records are displayed
in the bottom margin. Is there a cure for this?

Anne Troy

If you're doing a mail merge, you've got some merge codes in the wrong
place....
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Judy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been experimenting with several different options from the Avery
product list and it seems that if there are more than enough records
selected (to fill the sheet of labels) the next records are displayed
in the bottom margin. Is there a cure for this?

Judy

I should have been more clear in discribing the problem. The templates
look fine with all the field names inserted in all the right places but
after the mail merge the NEW document created continues to display
fields even in the bottom margin. I've tried starting New Templates
from the begining both for address labels and business cards and they
look fine up in the preview until the bottom margin where the next
records try to display as many lines as possible running of the bottom
of the page even though there are NO fields inserted there.

Any ideas how correct this?

Anne Troy

I would begin by troubleshooting Word, Judy. If that doesn't help, see what
the doc looks like on another PC. If you don't have one, join
www.officearticles.com/forum and upload a sample file there for me to look
at. See Word troubleshooting he
http://www.officearticles.com/word/s...osoft_word.htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Judy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I should have been more clear in discribing the problem. The templates
look fine with all the field names inserted in all the right places but
after the mail merge the NEW document created continues to display
fields even in the bottom margin. I've tried starting New Templates
from the begining both for address labels and business cards and they
look fine up in the preview until the bottom margin where the next
records try to display as many lines as possible running of the bottom
of the page even though there are NO fields inserted there.

Any ideas how correct this?

Graham Mayor

Labels are merely tables and your fields should be in the table cells. The
only way I can see that a merge could attempt to add more cells than there
is space for on the page would be if there is a disparity between the page
size between the printer settings and the page settings. There should be no
way for a merge to move fields outside the cells into the bottom 'margin'.

Judy wrote:
I should have been more clear in discribing the problem. The
templates look fine with all the field names inserted in all the
right places but after the mail merge the NEW document created
continues to display fields even in the bottom margin. I've tried
starting New Templates from the begining both for address labels and
business cards and they look fine up in the preview until the bottom
margin where the next records try to display as many lines as
possible running of the bottom of the page even though there are NO
fields inserted there.

Any ideas how correct this?

Judy

I agree that it's very strange. That is why I tried different Avery
product selections as well as from different computers with Word 97,
inserting fields only within the "sample label". I made no changes to
margins. Since my last post, I've discovered that I can pull up one of
these same templates (created on Word 97) using Word 2000 and as long
as I change the datasource from the .dat file to a .txt version of the
file, it displays perfectly. If I don't change the datasource I get
the same error about "Word could not parse your query into valid SQL
string" that I got trying to use a txt file datasource with 97. I
wonder if the problem with the 97 display has something to do with the
..dat datasource.

Judy

Hi Anne,
Thanks so much for the link. It looks like a great resource! I've
discovered that I can pull up the files created in Word97 using Word
2000 and although those same files show records stuffed into the
margins in Word97, they look perfect in Word 2000. (Of course I have
to save the .dat (data source) as a .txt file first.) Anyway, I've
registered at officarticles.com and I've posted both a sample 97 file
and a small .dat file to use for testing. I sure hope someone can
find a solution to this mystery. I did some more searching in this
group and found mention of an schema.ini file but I searched both my
system with Word 97 and another system with Word 2000 and neither
system seemed to have the file in question. I'm running out of ideas.

Judy

In case someone should one day be searching for the solution to this
problem, the mystery has been solved. There is a problem with the
"Print View" in Word 97 when used with the label merge. Ignore what
you see in "Print View" and print them anyway.