enviro

Default How do you link documents to create a customizeable report

How do you create a boilerplate report that can "easily" be customized by
adding additional word documents or sections of word documents. Is there
something called a "root" application to do this?
Jezebel

There are LOTS of ways to do this, the choices depending on the details of
what you need to end up, what the additional documents and sections are
like, how many of them, how long they are, how many users there are and what
skills they have, etc. It's no easy question: solutions range from setting
up some AutoText entries to commercial packages that run to quite a few
thousand dollars to buy.

If you provide more info, people can make more useful suggestions; or you
could easily spend a day with Google researching the commercial options.

"enviro" wrote in message
How do you create a boilerplate report that can "easily" be customized by
adding additional word documents or sections of word documents. Is there
something called a "root" application to do this?

enviro

Unfortunately I have spent lots and lots of time searching the web for this
info. What I need to prepare is a type of report that will typically range
from 30-100 pages in length. The report will be used my mulitiple people
with different uses for the report. So we would basically have a "master
document" and then additional documents that may or may not be included
within the report. Is creating a master document and subdocuments the way to
go? I have been told they don't work well. So then I heard and recently
found some info on RD field codes (although I haven't figured out how to
create it all yet). Is this the way to go. I wouldn't think this would be a
big deal to create, but I'm having a tough time with it. Is there a website
or source that has pretty user friendly directions or even a template for
such an animal?