Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LUMC

Default Track Changes in Word 2003

We have deployed Office 2003 in the company and have come to the conclusion
that we cannot set the Options for Track Changes on never and none for all
users at the same time.

(in Word: Tools\Options\Track Changes)

Since peole are not always aware that changes are marked this is seen as a
security/privacy risk.

Is there a way we can turn these settings off for 5000 users at one time?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cooz

Hi Leids Universitair Medisch Centrum,
Sorry.
Hi LUMC,

We have upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2003 in our company (4000
machines) and we do _not_ regard using Track Changes as a security risk.
It was in Word 97 though, since changes were very easy to hide. In Word
2003, changes by default are very visible, and there is no user who does not
call the helpdesk when he wants to get rid of those balloons and formatting
he didn't ask for. We have documented this, so calls like these are handled
easily.

If you want to shut down track changes, you deny your users a very handy,
powerful feature. I suggest you instruct your users on how to use track
changes instead.

This does not answer your question, I know - but perhaps you can give it
some second thoughts. Think of the complaints that will rise when users find
out they can't use Word the way they want to.

Kind regards,
Cooz

"LUMC" wrote:

We have deployed Office 2003 in the company and have come to the conclusion
that we cannot set the Options for Track Changes on never and none for all
users at the same time.

(in Word: Tools\Options\Track Changes)

Since peole are not always aware that changes are marked this is seen as a
security/privacy risk.

Is there a way we can turn these settings off for 5000 users at one time?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LUMC

It is not our intention that users will not be able to use this feature
anymore, we just donot want this to be a standard. Too many users do not even
know of this feature, which is why we are informing them about it.

Still we do want to turn it off as default, so that if people who do not
wish to use this do not have to bother about it.

It is a privacy / security risk, when people are not aware what Word is
taking care off by itself, and client data is accidentaly sent to the wrong
persons.

"LUMC" wrote:

We have deployed Office 2003 in the company and have come to the conclusion
that we cannot set the Options for Track Changes on never and none for all
users at the same time.

(in Word: Tools\Options\Track Changes)

Since peole are not always aware that changes are marked this is seen as a
security/privacy risk.

Is there a way we can turn these settings off for 5000 users at one time?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The actual Track Changes feature is never on by default, anyway. The only
sense I could make of your reference to "never and none" (and please correct
me if I am wrong) was "Never" for display of balloons and "(none)" for the
formatting of insertions and deletions. But if these settings were in
effect, all they would do would be hide any markup that was created when
users inadvertently had Track Changes on. If a file was sent elsewhere still
containing this (invisible) markup, it would be clearly visible to
recipients who had their Track Changes options set differently. Surely this
is not what you want!

"LUMC" wrote:

We have deployed Office 2003 in the company and have come to the

conclusion
that we cannot set the Options for Track Changes on never and none for

all
users at the same time.

(in Word: Tools\Options\Track Changes)

Since peole are not always aware that changes are marked this is seen

as a
security/privacy risk.

Is there a way we can turn these settings off for 5000 users at one

time?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, you're riding for a fall if you ever send any documents outside the
company.

"LUMC" wrote in message
Yes, this is what we want!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The actual Track Changes feature is never on by default, anyway. The

only
sense I could make of your reference to "never and none" (and please

correct
me if I am wrong) was "Never" for display of balloons and "(none)" for

the
formatting of insertions and deletions. But if these settings were in
effect, all they would do would be hide any markup that was created when
users inadvertently had Track Changes on. If a file was sent elsewhere

still
containing this (invisible) markup, it would be clearly visible to
recipients who had their Track Changes options set differently. Surely

this
is not what you want!

newsgroup so
all may benefit.