Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MoJR MoJR is offline

Default Ask Dan Freeman

Hello,
In a previous post Dan wrote in respsonse to a question I had:
CTRL-ENTER was your fatal error. It almost always is.

Display hidden characters (click ¶) and delete whatever marker you have
between pages.

Then Insert-Break-Next Page where you want the page break. That inserts a
section break. You can then move from section to section setting page
layouts.

CTRL-Enter simply inserts a page break, not a section break. There's nothing
to distinguish between the pages as long as they're in the same section.

Dan

MoJR wrote:
I am trying to create a document that has a letter as the first page
and a legal document for a second page. How do I accomplish this?
Both pages already exist. I do not need to create them. I tried
placing the cursor at the beginning of the legal document and
pressing "ctrl+enter", but the legal formatting was added to the now
first page. How do I get rid of the formatting? I tried going to the
header of the newly created page and deleting the formatting. When I
did that, the formatting disappeared from the now second page. What
do I need to do to accomplish this also? The end result is to be one
document with 2 pages, one letter and one legal.
Thank you,
MoJR

That worked great. Now, I am trying to insert a document w/o the legal
format to the end of the above mentioned document. When I follow the
instructions for the previous problems, I eliminate the formatting from the
preceding pages.
Any suggestions?
thank you,
mojr
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Insert a Section Break at the end of the documnet before you insert the new
one.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

MoJR wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MoJR MoJR is offline

Okay,
I inserted a Page Break at the end of the document. I was able to remove the
borders and numbering. But, when I went to Page Setup to change the margins,
that changed the margins of all the previous pages. Then I discovered that
the Header for the new page says Header Section 2. The other pages all say
Section Header 1. The Footer Section says Footer Section2.
Maybe this is the problem.
Any suggestions?
Thank you,
mojr

MoJR wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You're still not getting it. A page break is not sufficient. You must insert
a *section break* (Insert | Break | Section break: Next page). It sounds as
if you may have done this, if you now have two sections. When you make
margin changes make sure that Page Setup has "This section" selected for
"Apply to" and that you are in the right section to begin with (the one you
want to change).

For more on this, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm

MoJR wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MoJR MoJR is offline

Suzanne,
Yes, apparently I'm not getting it! I did the things you suggested. I went
to the page you included in your reply. My point from my post was that the
Header of the new page says Header Section 2 as if it were part of the
previous section. If I understand correctly, when I add a new page the
paragraph etc. of the previous page.

Actually, right now this is a moot point. I just spent over 4 days
re-vamping and renaming my macros from having a Macro number to having
descriptive names. After inserting them into my new menus I discover they
don't work. I keep getting a message that they have been deleted or the
security level is too high. I don't understand. As far as I know, I did the
same procedures that I used when I created and populated my toolbars and
their menus.
Can you say AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!?
At this point it would be easier to quit the business I use these documents
for than try to figure out why these problems are happening.

mojr

MoJR wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi

Question 1:

when I add a new page the
paragraph etc. of the previous page.

A page break and a section break are two entirely different things. You can
insert a page break or a section break using Insert Break. Apart from
that, there is no similarity between the two.

They're different things.

I suggest you go back and re-read all the posts in this thread bearing that
difference in mind.

Word works out where pages need to end automatically. You rarely need a page
break (and it's always better to format the paragraph in question with 'Page
break before' than use a page break). You need a section break if you want
to change margins, number of columns, paper size, headers and so on: all the
settings you find at File Page Setup.

The following might help, too:
Use page numbering and let the text flow from page to page
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/concepts/pagenumbers/

Question 2:
(a) At Tools Customize, make sure that the "Save In" box is the same file
as the one that stores the macros you want to assign to buttons on the
toolbar.

(b) At Tools Options Security click the Macro Security button and set
your security level to Medium.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You're still not getting it. A page break is not sufficient. You must
insert
a *section break* (Insert | Break | Section break: Next page). It sounds
as
if you may have done this, if you now have two sections. When you make
margin changes make sure that Page Setup has "This section" selected for
"Apply to" and that you are in the right section to begin with (the one
you
want to change).

For more on this, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm

so
all may benefit.

MoJR wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Freeman Dan Freeman is offline

Cool! Haven't had a thread named after me for about 10 years. g

Dan

MoJR wrote:
Suzanne,
Yes, apparently I'm not getting it! I did the things you suggested. I
went to the page you included in your reply. My point from my post
was that the Header of the new page says Header Section 2 as if it
were part of the previous section. If I understand correctly, when I
add a new page the previous page must have a page break(section
break) after the last letter, paragraph etc. of the previous page.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You're still not getting it. A page break is not sufficient. You
must insert a *section break* (Insert | Break | Section break: Next
page). It sounds as if you may have done this, if you now have two
sections. When you make margin changes make sure that Page Setup has
"This section" selected for "Apply to" and that you are in the right
section to begin with (the one you want to change).

For more on this, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Insert a Section Break at the end of the documnet before you
insert the new one.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

MoJR wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MoJR MoJR is offline

Shauna,
Thank you. I apparently misunderstood the differences. I somehow thought
they were the sames. Duh!
My immediate problem is my macros that I just renamed, as opposed to having
them numbered, aren't being found by word. I get a message that they have
been deleted or security is set too high. Neither is true.
If I go to ToolsMacros, they are all there.
Any suggestion?
Thank you,
mojr(James)

MoJR wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MoJR MoJR is offline

Shauna,
I finally figured it out. Thank you very much for your assistance!
mojr