Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MicheleS1 MicheleS1 is offline

Default Format Painter not working in Word 2010

I am using Word 2010, trying to format a document in a prescribed format.
With previous versions of Word, if I highlighted a word, sentence,
paragraph, bulleted item, etc., I could use the format painter to copy every
detail of the format to a new section of text.
With Word 2010 very little of the original format is copied over, maybe the
font, or font size, but never the indenting, bulleting, etc., which was what
made format painter so useful. In fact sometimes it changes the font to
something totally unrelated to either the copy from or copy to text. I have
reinstalled office, and done a repair, but this is my only issue.
Is there a setting somewhere that I have to change to make sure that ALL the
formatting copies to the new text?
And I do know you can copy then used the drop-down paste format only option,
but I would like the format painter to work as it should.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't see an issue with the Format Painter here, also using Word 2010. Note
that in order to copy paragraph formatting (indentation, line spacing, etc.) you
must select the *whole* paragraph before using the painter.

Also, note that if the selection includes multiple font settings, the Format
Painter won't "catch" all of them.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MicheleS1" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do you experience the same problem if you use the built-in shortcuts
Ctrl+Shift+C (Copy Format) and Ctrl+Shift+V (Paste Format)? Note that,
unless you have a paragraph mark selected or have the selection collapsed to
a point (no text selected), paragraph formatting will not be copied, only
font formatting.

http://word.mvps.org

"MicheleS1" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MicheleS1 MicheleS1 is offline

This seems to be working on my bulleting. I'll post back with other issues
as I have done work-arounds to avoid some of them.
Thanks,
Michele

"MicheleS1" wrote in message
[...]

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Format Painter not working in Word 2010

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the Format Painter in Word 2010. Here are a few things you can try to get it working properly:
  1. Check the options for the Format Painter: Click on the Format Painter button in the Home tab of the ribbon, and then click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the button. This will open the Format Painter Options dialog box. Make sure that all the options you want to copy are selected, such as paragraph formatting, font, and bullet/numbering.
  2. Use the keyboard shortcut: Instead of using the Format Painter button, you can use the keyboard shortcut
    PHP Code:
    Ctrl+Shift+
    to copy the formatting, and then
    PHP Code:
    Ctrl+Shift+
    to paste it onto the new text.
  3. Clear the clipboard: Sometimes the clipboard can get bogged down with too much data, which can cause issues with the Format Painter. To clear the clipboard, click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the Clipboard group in the Home tab of the ribbon, and then click on "Clear All".
  4. Try resetting Word's settings: If none of the above solutions work, you can try resetting Word's settings to their default values. To do this, close Word, and then press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box. Type in "
    PHP Code:
    winword /safe
    " (without the quotes) and press Enter. This will open Word in safe mode, with all settings reset to their defaults. Try using the Format Painter in safe mode to see if it works properly. If it does, close Word and open it normally to see if the issue is resolved.

I hope one of these solutions works for you!