mrtyl99

Default Preserving formatting after updating links in Word

I have a Word doc that includes several links to tables in an Excel doc. The
doc was created by someone else. When I view the list of links in Word, I
see a section in the Links dialog box towards the bottom titled "Options for
selected link" with two selections below - one of which is "Preserve
formatting after update". This option is ghosted-out ,but is checked for
some of the links in my list and unchecked for others. When I update the
links, the tables in my Word doc that are associated with the links that have
this option un-checked always change size (i.e. formatting is NOT being
preserved after I update), but the charts that are associated with the links
that have this option checked stay the way I want them to.

I cannot figure out how to insert a linked Excel chart and get this option
turned on. Does anybody know how? Thanks in advance for your help.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?bXJ0eWw5OQ==?=,

I'm confused: do you want to preserve formatting for charts, or for tables? And
which version of Word do you have?

I have a Word doc that includes several links to tables in an Excel doc. The
doc was created by someone else. When I view the list of links in Word, I
see a section in the Links dialog box towards the bottom titled "Options for
selected link" with two selections below - one of which is "Preserve
formatting after update". This option is ghosted-out ,but is checked for
some of the links in my list and unchecked for others. When I update the
links, the tables in my Word doc that are associated with the links that have
this option un-checked always change size (i.e. formatting is NOT being
preserved after I update), but the charts that are associated with the links
that have this option checked stay the way I want them to.

I cannot figure out how to insert a linked Excel chart and get this option
turned on.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org