Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
amy amy is offline

Default Mulitiple outline numbered lists

I have a document that I need to insert two separate outline numbered lists
into and I'm not quite sure how to do it.

My first list uses the built-in Heading styles and I've modified them to 1.0
for Heading 1, 1.1 for Heading 2, etc.

My second list uses paragraph styles that I created to capture procedural
steps underneath the main headings. Because my indenturing in the heading
goes so deep (out of my control, unfortunately), I have three levels of
procedural steps that each start inset a little bit more from the left
margin. Headings 1 - 4 all start at .5", Heading 5 starts at .75", and
Headings 6 - 7 start at 1". This is so the first line of text in my
procedural step lines up with the text in the heading following all the
1.1.1s. It looks like this:

L1N1 (Level 1 Procedural Step Level 1)--starts with 1. Text here
L1N2 (Level 1 Procedural Step Level 2)--starts with a. Text here
L2N1 (Level 2 Procedural Step Level 1)--starts with 1. Text here
L2N2 (Level 2 Procedural Step Level 2)--starts with a.
Text here
L3N1 (Level 3 Procedural Step Level 1)--starts with 1.
Text here
L3N2 (Level 3 Procedural Step Level 2)--starts with
a. Text here

What I'm having trouble with is getting these procedural steps to restart at
1 after each major heading. I created an outline numbered list and linked it
to the paragraph styles but that doesn't seem to work. I can manually reset
them all, of course, but that kind of defeats the purpose. Is generating such
a complex numbering scheme beyond Word's ability?