Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
J.Polayes

Default Moving form data from Word to an Excel Spreadsheet?

After creating a form in word using various field types, need to know how to
gather that data automatically into an Excel spreadsheet?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Si5Qb2xheWVz?=,

After creating a form in word using various field types, need to know how to
gather that data automatically into an Excel spreadsheet?

"field types" as in form fields from the Forms toolbar? Or something else?
Version of Word?

There is no functionality that will automatically transfer data in a Word
document to Excel. A document with form fields can be set to save ONLY the data
entered into the form fields (see Tools/Options/Save). This creates a
comma-delimited text file, which can then be imported into an Excel spreadsheet
(one-by-one). This is the only possibility that doesn't involve programming
(macros).

Getting into the realm of macro programming, you could have a macro in Excel
that would import, say, all the csv files in a folder, so that you wouldn't
have to do it one at a time.

You could also have a macro in Word that would read the information directly
from the form fields and write it to an Excel file. I think there are a couple
of tutorials on automating Excel from Word (or Word from Excel) that might give
you start on this at word.mvps.org.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
J.Polayes

Thank you, if you know of an easy way to move field data from word to excel
w/orwo macros I would appreciate the heads up. I am trying to update and
gather data supplied by teachers etc. in email responses.

Thank you,
J. Polayes

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Si5Qb2xheWVz?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Si5Qb2xheWVz?=,

Thank you, if you know of an easy way to move field data from word to excel
w/orwo macros I would appreciate the heads up. I am trying to update and
gather data supplied by teachers etc. in email responses.

As I said, start with the tutorial at word.mvps.org... Then post again with
specific questions where you get stuck. But it would be better to post in a
word.vba newsgroup, rather than in this one (which is meant for end-user
questions)