Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Ocean

Default Mailmerge date format

I using mailmerge to take some dates out of an Access DB to merge into some
letters. The date format in the DB is correct (eg UK format dd/mm/yyyy). But
when I mailmerge, it comes out as mm/dd/yyyy - USA format. The regional
settings are correct. But if I add following formatting data: \@"dd MMMM
yyyy" then it works. However, this is a faff having to modify this each
mailmerge letter I do - can this be set up as default ? It seems a bit poor
that Microsoft cant allow this formatting everytime. Any help would really
save my sanity ! Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Access is not actually storing the date in that format, just displaying it
that way. You can however use the format function in a query in Access to
force the date into the format that you want and use the query as the data
source for the mailmerge. Alternatively, create and autotext entry that
contains the mergefield with the switch and insert the autotext entry when
you want to insert the mergefield containing the date into your mail merge
main documents.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Ocean" wrote in message
I using mailmerge to take some dates out of an Access DB to merge into some
letters. The date format in the DB is correct (eg UK format dd/mm/yyyy).
But
when I mailmerge, it comes out as mm/dd/yyyy - USA format. The regional
settings are correct. But if I add following formatting data: \@"dd MMMM
yyyy" then it works. However, this is a faff having to modify this each
mailmerge letter I do - can this be set up as default ? It seems a bit
poor
that Microsoft cant allow this formatting everytime. Any help would really
save my sanity ! Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Ocean

Hi, I created a query, and set the format to 'short date'. however, when I do
a mailmerge it still comes out as the US format (mm/dd/yyyy) rather than the
UK (dd/mm/yyyy) which is what I want. Why does it defalt to this, when all
settings are made for UK and not US? Any help would be appreciated... Thanks

"Ocean" wrote in message
I using mailmerge to take some dates out of an Access DB to merge into some
letters. The date format in the DB is correct (eg UK format dd/mm/yyyy).
But
when I mailmerge, it comes out as mm/dd/yyyy - USA format. The regional
settings are correct. But if I add following formatting data: \@"dd MMMM
yyyy" then it works. However, this is a faff having to modify this each
mailmerge letter I do - can this be set up as default ? It seems a bit
poor
that Microsoft cant allow this formatting everytime. Any help would really
save my sanity ! Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

That is not using the format function. You need to create an expression in
the query that uses the function

Format([Field Name], "dd/MM/yyyy")

--

"Ocean" wrote in message
I using mailmerge to take some dates out of an Access DB to merge into
some
letters. The date format in the DB is correct (eg UK format
dd/mm/yyyy).
But
when I mailmerge, it comes out as mm/dd/yyyy - USA format. The regional
settings are correct. But if I add following formatting data: \@"dd
MMMM
yyyy" then it works. However, this is a faff having to modify this each
mailmerge letter I do - can this be set up as default ? It seems a bit
poor
that Microsoft cant allow this formatting everytime. Any help would
really
save my sanity ! Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

The use of the format() function in an Access query converts the data to
text. Once in that format, it is no longer treated as a Date data type.

--

"Ocean" wrote in message
I using mailmerge to take some dates out of an Access DB to merge
into
some
letters. The date format in the DB is correct (eg UK format
dd/mm/yyyy).
But
when I mailmerge, it comes out as mm/dd/yyyy - USA format. The

regional
settings are correct. But if I add following formatting data: \@"dd
MMMM
yyyy" then it works. However, this is a faff having to modify this

each
mailmerge letter I do - can this be set up as default ? It seems a

bit
poor
that Microsoft cant allow this formatting everytime. Any help would
really
save my sanity ! Thanks

Change date format for Comments and display date in balloons Melissa Microsoft Word Help 13 January 30th 06 05:21 PM
Format the field of DATE LS Mailmerge 1 January 9th 06 01:49 PM
date format keeps changing belrose Microsoft Word Help 2 December 5th 05 11:15 PM
how do i set a reacuring date on a document? welker_daniel New Users 4 October 29th 05 08:38 AM
Mail Merge date format problem with Word 2003 Thang New Users 1 May 2nd 05 01:55 PM