Daniel D. Boudreau

Default Word2003 in french when merging the result of accent's are bissare

I have Word2003 installed in french, when i merge, all caracters that are in
french with accents ex. é will give a bissare code.
I have re-installed on one work station version 2000 and it work's, is there
a patch for this problem ?
Peter Jamieson

If your data source is Access or Excel, and perhaps in some other cases, the
first thing to try is to check Word Tools|Options|General|"Confirm
conversion at open" (I am sorry, but I do not have a French language version
of the menu text). Next, re-connect to your data source. In the "Select Data
Source" dialog box, choose the "DDE" option.

That might help, but if it does not, please say what happened.

Peter Jamieson

"Daniel D. Boudreau" Daniel D. wrote in
message ...
I have Word2003 installed in french, when i merge, all caracters that are
in
french with accents ex. é will give a bissare code.
I have re-installed on one work station version 2000 and it work's, is
there
a patch for this problem ?

Daniel D. Boudreau

Hi Mister Jamieson, thank's for the reply, i tried it but it dosn't work, my
database is on SQL, so the merge info is brought from SQL, i have installed
word2000 and 2003 in english and it work's, i believe that it is word2003 in
frensh that is the problem, i have allot of companies that have word2003
frensh, are you awware of problems with the frensh version ? i have
downloaded all the service pack, but it didn't work

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

If your data source is Access or Excel, and perhaps in some other cases, the
first thing to try is to check Word Tools|Options|General|"Confirm
conversion at open" (I am sorry, but I do not have a French language version
of the menu text). Next, re-connect to your data source. In the "Select Data
Source" dialog box, choose the "DDE" option.

That might help, but if it does not, please say what happened.

Peter Jamieson

"Daniel D. Boudreau" Daniel D. wrote in
message ...
I have Word2003 installed in french, when i merge, all caracters that are
in
french with accents ex. é will give a bissare code.
I have re-installed on one work station version 2000 and it work's, is
there
a patch for this problem ?

Peter Jamieson

No, I don't have the French version of any of the current versions of
Word/Windows/SQL Server.

You should probably ask this question in a SQL Server group - If the code
pages (character set) you are using on your client machine and in SQL Server
are different, the translation is not always done properly. There are
differences depending on the version of SQL Server, and the version of the
OLEDB providers/ODBC drivers. If you are using ODBC, it may be worth
changing the setting for "Perform translation for character data" in the
ODBC DSN setup dialog, but I actually doubt whether it will make any
difference.

But...

How are you conecting to SQL Server? In Word 2000, you have to use an ODBC
connection, which you can set up via MS Query or using VBA. Are you doing
the same thing in Word 2003, or are you using the new method, which uses
OLEDB? In either case, it could be worth trying the other method. If you
have installed MS Query with Word 2003, it is now available on the Tools
menu at the top right corner of the Select Data Source dialog box. If you
are using OLEDB and Word 2003 (English) is succeeding but Word 2003 (French)
is not, I would also use Notepad to open the .odc files created by each
version to see if there is any difference.

Peter Jamieson
"Daniel D. Boudreau" wrote in
message ...

CardText Field Switch JoyceA Mailmerge 2 June 18th 05 11:05 AM
Method for displaying dollar amount as written on bank check samandmonty Microsoft Word Help 5 May 11th 05 10:54 PM
How do I turn dollar amounts into words? Theresa Wright New Users 5 January 25th 05 10:28 AM