Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melissa

Default what does "Field code changed" mean?

Can somebody explain what "Field code changed" means? I turned tracking on
in my document and saw this remark after performing several updates. In the
areas where this remark appears, I can't see any difference between the
current and original text or diagrams.
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Melissa,

Can somebody explain what "Field code changed" means? I turned tracking on
in my document and saw this remark after performing several updates. In the
areas where this remark appears, I can't see any difference between the
current and original text or diagrams.

Most of the dynamic content in a Word document (such as links and many embedded
objects, Tocs, indexes, etc.) is maintained by field codes. When they're
updated, you'll get this notation when change tracking is active. It doesn't
matter whether the result still looks the same, it's been regenerated so there's
been a change "under the covers". The nice thing about it is, if you don't like
the update you can get the original back.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: what does "Field code changed" mean?

"Field code changed" is a message that appears in Microsoft Word when a field code has been updated or changed. Field codes are used to insert dynamic content into a document, such as page numbers, dates, and cross-references.

When you turn on tracking in Word, it will show you any changes that have been made to the document, including changes to field codes. However, in some cases, the changes to the field codes may not be visible in the document itself, which is why you may not see any difference between the current and original text or diagrams.

To see the changes that have been made to the field codes, you can try the following steps:
  1. Click on the "Review" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on "Show Markup" in the "Tracking" section.
  3. Make sure that "Field Changes" is selected.
  4. Scroll through the document to see the changes that have been made to the field codes.

If you still can't see any changes, it's possible that the changes were made to a field code that is not visible in the document, such as a hidden field code. In this case, you may need to consult with the person who made the changes to find out what was updated.

Help! Mailmerge code for all selected records? Kara Mailmerge 1 October 12th 05 07:05 PM
Word Mailmerge does not display a ZIP code beginning with a zero. FredSC Mailmerge 3 August 27th 05 01:07 PM
adding the post code Louise Mailmerge 3 May 4th 05 06:27 PM
UPC BAR CODE davek Microsoft Word Help 4 March 23rd 05 12:16 AM
How do I use the PRINT field code to ... Dave Microsoft Word Help 3 December 13th 04 04:06 PM