Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Diminished Seventh

Default Combining Documents - Urgent Help Needed

Hi

I have to produce a response to another document and I'm up against a tight
deadline, I hope someone can help me.

I want to include extracts from the original document in my response whilst
preserving ALL of the original formatting and numbering (both list and
heading) of the extracts.

I've tried all the alternative Paste Special... options but none of these
work because the styles in the original document are all based upon the
Normal style. Therefore when I paste them, it reformats based upon the
Normal style in the recipient document. Even if I select the Picture option
(which seems to do the best job), the heading numbers reset to start at 1.

I expect this must be an FAQ but I can't find it after a lot of searching.

Please help!

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

I would recommend using screenprint or some other method to convert the
original to one or more graphic images. My paperport software converts Word
documents to jpgs if I want. These can be cropped to just show the parts you
want.

Otherwise, you could use IncludeText with the /! switch to not update
fields. I do not know that this works with numbering, though. Also, how
closely formatting matches would depend on how both the original document
and your document are formatted.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Diminished Seventh" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Diminished Seventh

Hi Charles

Thanks for your prompt response.

Converting to images is a great idea except that it is difficult to
replicate the exact font sizes etc. I was rather hoping that there was an
easy way to paste from the original document but tell Word to not try and be
smart.

I'll experiement with the IncludeText suggestion but I think the Heading
counters are global across the entire document.

Any other ideas greatfully received!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

I forgot the simple one. Select text in the original document. Go to the new
document and use
Edit Paste Special... Paste as Picture.
Maximum is one page and you won't get headers/footers, but it may do just
what you want.