Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,alt.windows98

Default The answer: continuing ability to update w98 and Word

Hi

At last I got the answer from Jay Freeman. The update/patch files are
still available, though they may be shortly pulled. That was my worry.
The key was that they are *.exe files, so I've now downloaded them and
saved them securely so they can be applied after a reload from my old CD
at any future date.

Does anyone see a problem with that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,alt.windows98

Sorry Graham! Mildly and effectively put!

I stand corrected. Because it was foremost in my mind I made the classic
mistake of assuming it was in everyone else's. In the original post I was
trying to discover a way of keeping the update files aside for a later update
if I ever have to reload my W98 and Word 2000 from a very old CD, given that
MS are withdrawing those prodcuts from support soon.
No-one until Jay pointed out that behind the auot-updates (which I don't
want) there are *.exe files, which makes it all clear -- I think, unless you
can think of another problem (I know, me -- but apart from that)

Graham Mayor wrote:

wrote:
Hi

At last I got the answer from Jay Freeman. The update/patch files are
still available, though they may be shortly pulled. That was my worry.
The key was that they are *.exe files, so I've now downloaded them and
saved them securely so they can be applied after a reload from my old
CD at any future date.

Does anyone see a problem with that?

You mean apart from the fact that by detaching this message from the
original thread no-one will have a clue what you are talking about - save
perhaps Jay?

My web site
www.gmayor.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,alt.windows98
Graham Mayor

If you have the updates on file, you will be able to use them later

The problem with Windows 98 is that it will allow you to do things that are
not exactly wise and so you gather an accumulation of stuff that conspires
to prevent Windows working correctly. Windows XP is much better at
housekeeping and runs a more stable ship. Maybe it's time to move into the
21st century? In the meantime once you have it working as intended use
Norton Ghost or similar to image your system and then you will not have to
worry about such problems in the future. 20 minutes would have your
correctly working backup in place.

Graham Mayor wrote:

wrote:
Hi

At last I got the answer from Jay Freeman. The update/patch files
are still available, though they may be shortly pulled. That was my
worry. The key was that they are *.exe files, so I've now
downloaded them and saved them securely so they can be applied
after a reload from my old CD at any future date.

Does anyone see a problem with that?

You mean apart from the fact that by detaching this message from the
original thread no-one will have a clue what you are talking about -
save perhaps Jay?

My web site
www.gmayor.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,alt.windows98

Graham Mayor wrote:

If you have the updates on file, you will be able to use them later

The problem with Windows 98 is that it will allow you to do things that are
not exactly wise and so you gather an accumulation of stuff that conspires
to prevent Windows working correctly. Windows XP is much better at
housekeeping and runs a more stable ship. Maybe it's time to move into the
21st century? In the meantime once you have it working as intended use
Norton Ghost or similar to image your system and then you will not have to
worry about such problems in the future. 20 minutes would have your
correctly working backup in place.

An excellent desciption of the difference between operating systems! Thanks
Graham. But I have gleaned from various newgroups that XP is considered much
less stable than 98. I also have only 64 Mb RAM on a laptop which I've had for
six years and does a perfectly adequate job. Having said that, yes I probably
have done silly things and I am pretty sure my o/s is now corrupt. Hence
preparing to reload everything. Surely Norton Ghost and similar imaging will
restore the corruptions as well. I intend to go back to my original "clean"
CD, then apply the W98 and Word updates I've now stored on a memory stick, and
then restore the rest of my data. I reckon the whole process will take about a
day but is probably a small price to pay for a clean system.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,alt.windows98
Graham Mayor

Windows XP is much more stable than 98, but it will not run some software
that does not obey the rules, however after 6 years you are no doubt aware
of 98's limitations.

The idea of using Ghost was to save the your system once you have
reinstalled - *before* you cock it up again

wrote:
Graham Mayor wrote:

If you have the updates on file, you will be able to use them later

The problem with Windows 98 is that it will allow you to do things
that are not exactly wise and so you gather an accumulation of stuff
that conspires to prevent Windows working correctly. Windows XP is
much better at housekeeping and runs a more stable ship. Maybe it's
time to move into the 21st century? In the meantime once you have
it working as intended use Norton Ghost or similar to image your
system and then you will not have to worry about such problems in
the future. 20 minutes would have your correctly working backup in
place.

An excellent description of the difference between operating systems!
Thanks Graham. But I have gleaned from various newgroups that XP is
considered much less stable than 98. I also have only 64 Mb RAM on a
laptop which I've had for six years and does a perfectly adequate
job. Having said that, yes I probably have done silly things and I
am pretty sure my o/s is now corrupt. Hence preparing to reload
everything. Surely Norton Ghost and similar imaging will restore the
corruptions as well. I intend to go back to my original "clean" CD,
then apply the W98 and Word updates I've now stored on a memory
stick, and then restore the rest of my data. I reckon the whole
process will take about a day but is probably a small price to pay
for a clean system.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,alt.windows98
Paul D. Motzenbecker, Jr. Paul D. Motzenbecker, Jr. is offline

Hi,
Greetings and hallucinations from just north of Fantasy Land (Washington,
DC)!
Where do you find the individual updates? I keep looking, but have
difficulty finding them.
Peace,
Paul