Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
glenn glenn is offline

Default Text Box - Vertical Text Alignment

Can someone tell me how to vertically center the text in a text box? It
always appears at the top left corner unless I hit return and manually nudge
it down.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:00:01 -0700, Glenn
wrote:

Can someone tell me how to vertically center the text in a text box? It
always appears at the top left corner unless I hit return and manually nudge
it down.

Thanks

A text box doesn't have a vertical-centering setting. You can use returns, or
put a value in the Space Before box in the Format Paragraph dialog for the
first paragraph of the box to move it down. Both of these are trial-and-error
methods.

An alternative, more work but more accurate at centering, is to insert a
one-cell table in the text box, set it to an exact row height slightly less than
the height of the text box (to allow for the required paragraph mark below the
table), and set vertically centered alignment in the table cell.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you want the text accurately centered, you will need to make the table
cell fill the text box (the following empty paragraph will still be there
but will be "overflow"). OTOH, mathematical vertical centering rarely looks
"right," so having the empty paragraph to force the text a little higher
would probably be desirable.

wrote:

[...]

so all may benefit.