lschwa01 lschwa01 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Frederick MD
Exclamation Most of file disappears

I was working on an 85 page Word file. I saved it and went to dinner. Opening the file after dinner, I find that the last 80% of the document is missing.

After dinner I opened the file. Word created a WBK backup which is a copy of the file when opened, but the WBK was also damaged. It must have happened during my SAVE before dinner. There's nothing in the recycle bin, and my backup drive got updated with the damaged file! The shortened file is 462K which seems a bit large for the shortened file. The TOC says it has 19 pages and using F5 I can go to Page 19; however, the page number on the bottom status line always says it is page 1 of 1.

I been accumulating information in the file for over 15 years. I had appended an old copy to the current one and was developing an Excel trick to find all the duplicate H1s. The combined file had 131 H1s and was 85 pages long. I don't know its size but the short one is too long to append here.

Any ideas?
lschwa01 lschwa01 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Frederick MD
Smile

Somehow, the whole file came back! Now I make plenty of backups!!
nikos3194 nikos3194 is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up

This has also happened to me because I installed another program with spyware. I recommend doing an analysis with your antivirus (I changed to Karspersky and it worked well)

PS: Never stop making backups
lschwa01 lschwa01 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Frederick MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos3194 View Post
This has also happened to me because I installed another program with spyware. I recommend doing an analysis with your antivirus (I changed to Karspersky and it worked well)
Somehow, the problem corrected itself. It occurred over dinner time when I wasn't doing anything. No programs were installed recently. I run an AVG scan frequently. Thanks for the response.