Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Nicole Nicole is offline

Default How to Delete file that says "The directory name is not valid"?

How do I Delete a file that says "The directory name is not valid"? I have a
whole list of files that state that and I want to get them off of my Recent
Documents list.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word 2003

If you want to delete them all then set tools options general recently
used files to 0, confirm the change, then change it back to the number it
was previously.

See also http://www.gmayor.com/clear_recently_used_file_list.htm

If you want to selectively delete, then it gets altogether more complicated,
but friend and fellow MVP Greg Maxey has done all the work - see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Recent_Files_List_Editor.htm

Word 2007

The list is stored in the registry at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12\Wor d\FileMRU, from where you
can delete individual entries
or
You can use the following macro which will reset the list to your preset
preferred number of displayed documents:

Sub ClearMRU
Application.DisplayRecentFiles = True
listsize = RecentFiles.Maximum
RecentFiles.Maximum = 0
RecentFiles.Maximum = listsize
End Sub

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm
or again to edit the list see

Nicole wrote:
How do I Delete a file that says "The directory name is not valid"? I
have a whole list of files that state that and I want to get them off
of my Recent Documents list.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Actually, if we're just talking about the File menu MRU (in Word 2003 and
earlier), they can be selectively deleted using Alt+Ctrl+Hyphen.

http://word.mvps.org

Nicole wrote:
How do I Delete a file that says "The directory name is not valid"? I
have a whole list of files that state that and I want to get them off
of my Recent Documents list.

George Kovacs George Kovacs is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
How do I Delete a file that says "The directory name is not valid"? I have a
whole list of files that state that and I want to get them off of my Recent
Documents list.
Open Start Search, enter "regedit" select "HKEY CURRENT USER", select "Software", select "Microsoft", select "Office", select "12.0", select "Word"
select "File MRU" Open it, right click on the file you want to delete.
Joshua Brings Joshua Brings is offline
Junior Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
How do I Delete a file that says "The directory name is not valid"? I have a
whole list of files that state that and I want to get them off of my Recent
Documents list.
I know that this has been an old thread however if you have some problem like this, you an try using the Long Path Tool. It will usually save issues with file deleting, file renaming and file copying. Restrictions issues are usually fixed too.

lslizzysmith lslizzysmith is offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Brings View Post
I know that this has been an old thread however if you have some problem like this, you an try using the Long Path Tool. It will usually save issues with file deleting, file renaming and file copying. Restrictions issues are usually fixed too.

Recently, I have gone through a website where I get to know about a tool name as Stellar Bitraser for file software. This tool has the ability to delete data from any type of hard drive whether that drive's data is inaccessible or not.