Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bax bax is offline

Default Word 2003 telling me the Macro Security is set to high

Word 2003 says I have the security for Macros set to High. I have chencge to
it to the lowest setting and I still get the error when ever I save, open or
exit the program. What a waste of my time.
How do I turn off this or even just turn off Macros altogether?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

It's your copy of Word. If you don't want macros, why did you put them there
in the first place? And if you didn't put them there, that's why you need
the warning!

"bax" wrote in message
Word 2003 says I have the security for Macros set to High. I have chencge
it to the lowest setting and I still get the error when ever I save, open
or
exit the program. What a waste of my time.
How do I turn off this or even just turn off Macros altogether?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Read Jezebel's response - then do not set the macro security to low. Set it
to Medium so that you always get a prompt. Then determine where the macros
are coming from - such as that malicious document you opened from the web.

Chances are that you have installed an add-in with some third party software
that you cannot use because of the macro settings. See
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm . See also the last
section of http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm if
relevant as this is the most common cause of failure to change person
preferences.

You can allow the macros in your add-ins and templates to run, if you set
macro security to trust installed templates and add-ins, but if you don't
know what the macros are, don't allow the system to run them until you do.

bax wrote:
Word 2003 says I have the security for Macros set to High. I have
chencge to it to the lowest setting and I still get the error when
ever I save, open or exit the program. What a waste of my time.
How do I turn off this or even just turn off Macros altogether?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bax bax is offline

Thanks Graham. However, that really did not fix things. Jezabel - I have
installed no macros and this is a brand new installation. Changing the
Security level corrected nothing. When I deleted the Macro (listed in my
name at start up of each session) Word put it back immediately. I have never
had this problem before, and I think it has to do with the Office Security
Upgrade I installed after I reformated the hard drive to start over this year.
I finally deleted the installation and reinstalled.
The first time I had ask for HTML features. this time I did not install some
of the HTML features. After that, I received a nag at start up and shut down
that the macros were turned off, and that Word was trying to run them - I
could not shut down the program without getting the nag screen.
I uninstalled Word again and this time let the install put in all the
features it wanted and added nothing. The program seems to be working now,
but . . .
I am still wondering what caused these problems. I am running the new Adabe
Reader 8, but no tool bar and have not added any 3ed party features - just
Microsofts security up dates. I have not tried downloading and installing
the update again.

bax wrote:
Word 2003 says I have the security for Macros set to High. I have
chencge to it to the lowest setting and I still get the error when
ever I save, open or exit the program. What a waste of my time.
How do I turn off this or even just turn off Macros altogether?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

"Word put it back immediately" makes no sense. Word doesn't write macros. As
Graham says, find out where they are coming from ... this is the consequence
of something YOU have done or downloaded.

bax wrote:
Word 2003 says I have the security for Macros set to High. I have
chencge to it to the lowest setting and I still get the error when
ever I save, open or exit the program. What a waste of my time.
How do I turn off this or even just turn off Macros altogether?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You say you have installed no macros but in the second breath you say you
have deleted a macro. Where did this come from? Magic? Changing the macro
security was not supposed to fix a problem it was to enable you to maintain
the safest work practice.
Uninstalling office would not affect any templates or add-ins that contain
macros. They would still be present. Read the linked pages I posted earlier.

bax wrote:
Word 2003 says I have the security for Macros set to High. I have
chencge to it to the lowest setting and I still get the error when
ever I save, open or exit the program. What a waste of my time.
How do I turn off this or even just turn off Macros altogether?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bax bax is offline

The macro is created when I start Word. It is listed as having been created
by me at start up of Word. Deleting it does no good and it immediately
returns.
Could someone check and see if your copy of Word does this?

Jezebel, If I knew what caused it, I would have not posted. If I knew where
it came from I would not be alarmed. If I knew how to remove it, I would.
Unfortuanately, your answer does not solve the problem. How can I find where
a macro comes from? As I said before, Word says I created the macro at start
up. I am sorry if this makes no sense. Again, if it made sense maybe I
could fix it.
As I mentioned, when I removed the features, I got a Nag that macros were
turned off. Something, the macro, is still there. It is created each time I
start Word. What? I don't know and I have no idea how to find out. That
was my question origionally.

"bax" wrote:

Word 2003 says I have the security for Macros set to High. I have chencge to
it to the lowest setting and I still get the error when ever I save, open or
exit the program. What a waste of my time.
How do I turn off this or even just turn off Macros altogether?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bax bax is offline

Thanks Graham,
I missed reading the information for templates the first time you mentioned
it. I never knew templates feed an add-in as a macros. That was where the
macro/ add-in was located/listed. Thanks for being patient and helping me
find the problem.
Thanks,
Bax

bax wrote:
Word 2003 says I have the security for Macros set to High. I have
chencge to it to the lowest setting and I still get the error when
ever I save, open or exit the program. What a waste of my time.
How do I turn off this or even just turn off Macros altogether?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If the template is intentionally available as a document template or add-in
then setting macro security to trust installed templates and add-ins and
macro security set to medium will maintain your security and stop the
warning for that template/add-in.