Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe Perfiry Joe Perfiry is offline

Default Printing Alternate Pages

I have a large document (296 pages) and I want to print every other page on
to headed paper. So page 1 goes to one cassette page 2 to another and this
repeats etc. Is this possible and how?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If this is a merged letter document then if the merge source document had a
different first page tray setting in page setup then that information should
be retained, but the printer will probably require you to send each letter
as a separate print job. Fellow MVP Doug Robbins has produced a macro for
this which you will find listed under the heading Split a merged document to
the printer with each 'letter' treated as a separate print task at
http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

For other documents, the following macro should work. Note that the tray ID
numbers are printer specific. See http://www.gmayor.com/fax_from_word.htm
which explains how to establish the tray ID numbers for your printer -
replace the tray IDs in the following macro as necessary:

Sub TwoTrays()
Dim sTray As Integer
sTray = Options.DefaultTrayID
Dim sPage As Long
With ActiveDocument
Selection.EndKey wdStory
For i = 1 To Selection.Information(wdActiveEndPageNumber)
sPage = i Mod 2
If sPage = 1 Then
Options.DefaultTrayID = 261 'Set the odd page trayID number here
Else
Options.DefaultTrayID = 260 'Set the even page trayID number
here
End If
ActiveDocument.PrintOut _
Range:=wdPrintRangeOfPages, _
Pages:=format(i), _
Copies:=1
Next i
Options.DefaultTrayID = sTray
End With
End Sub

Joe Perfiry wrote:
I have a large document (296 pages) and I want to print every other
page on to headed paper. So page 1 goes to one cassette page 2 to
another and this repeats etc. Is this possible and how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe Perfiry Joe Perfiry is offline

Hi Graham,
Thanks for your input. No it is not a merge document. It is a simple 296
page document with every other page needing to be plain. Every other headed.
So if you like odd plain and even headed. Hence the need for different trays.
Does this macro work therefore?

"Joe Perfiry" wrote:

I have a large document (296 pages) and I want to print every other page on
to headed paper. So page 1 goes to one cassette page 2 to another and this
repeats etc. Is this possible and how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Could you perhaps put the information that's on the "headed" paper
into a header within the document itself? The company logo, or
whatever it is that needs to be repeated? (Use "Different Odd and
Even" headers.)

"Joe Perfiry" wrote:
I have a large document (296 pages) and I want to print every other page on
to headed paper. So page 1 goes to one cassette page 2 to another and this
repeats etc. Is this possible and how?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If it actually alternates predictably, you could print all the odd pages,
then the even pages.

http://word.mvps.org

"Joe Perfiry" wrote:

I have a large document (296 pages) and I want to print every other page
on
to headed paper. So page 1 goes to one cassette page 2 to another and
this
repeats etc. Is this possible and how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I have not tested it with your printer, but it should work if you insert the
correct tray code numbers where indicated.
It treats each page as a separate print job and directs that page to the
appropriate tray depending on whether the page number is odd or even. Try it
with a smaller document.