Paul in ABQ

Default Tiny Font Help!

My font sizes changed recently and I can't get them back to normal size.
When I open a new document, the default is Times New Roman 12 pt. However,
that's not what shows up on the screen. The font is tiny, more like 8 pt.,
although it is labeled as 12 pt. I am using print view, page width. Worse
yet, the line spacing (set to single) seems to be at normal scale so that
single spacing looks like double spacing and any effort to reduce by setting
"exactly at" cuts off the portions of font below the line (e.g., jgypq). Any
older documents created before this problem occurred look fine, that is 12
pt. font looks like 12 pt font (print view, page width). However, anything
new suffers from this problem.

I suspect that your text has been formatted as Superscript. Select it and
press Ctrl+Spacebar. If that doesn't help, go to Format | Font and make sure
Superscript isn't checked. If it is, clear the check box and then click the
Default... button in the document and then OK to restore the
un-superscripted format as the default for new documents.

"Paul in ABQ" Paul in wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lynne in DC Lynne in DC is offline

I have the same problem. The selected font size in Word is 12 pt., but it is
really tiny on my screen and I can hardly read it. I checked to see if
superscript or subscript was selected and it wasn't. I tried changing the
zoom percentage, but that did not change anything. When I print the document,
the font appears normal at 12 pt. But on the screen, it's teensy. This just
randomly started yesterday. Documents created before then are readable. But
ever since yesterday, I can hardly read what I'm typing. Very frustrating.
I've looked at Microsoft Office Help and I haven't yet found anything that
addresses this particular problem.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

What I don't understand is how changing the Zoom ratio could have no effect.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I suspect that your text has been formatted as Superscript. Select it and
press Ctrl+Spacebar. If that doesn't help, go to Format | Font and make
sure
Superscript isn't checked. If it is, clear the check box and then click
the
Default... button in the document and then OK to restore the
un-superscripted format as the default for new documents.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
geofolk geofolk is offline

I have a similar problem except that everything is ok on the screen (font
size zoom, appearance in print preview, etc.) but it prints at about 2/3 the
size. This only happens on one of my documents. I have checked my printer
settings and they are the same for all documents. This document has been used
by myself and another person using "tracking" but once again this is the only
one that displays this behavior.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

This is a quite different issue. When a document contains "markup," Word
compresses the text area to allow margin space for the "balloons."

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I suspect that your text has been formatted as Superscript. Select it
and
press Ctrl+Spacebar. If that doesn't help, go to Format | Font and
make
sure
Superscript isn't checked. If it is, clear the check box and then
click
the
Default... button in the document and then OK to restore the
un-superscripted format as the default for new documents.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Robin W Robin W is offline

I am having a new problem with Word - just appeared. When I change font
sizes in native Word, the doc still displays the default of Arial 10.
However, if I copy that text into Outlook, it displays with the new font and
new size. Also, when printing the Word doc, the changed text prints
correctly. Is there a 'display' default that was somehow reset?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Without having any idea what version of Word you're using or what View
you're working in this is just a guess. It sounds like you may have the
option set for Draft Font and you're in Normal/Draft* View [is that what you
mean by "native Word"?]. If you switch to Page/Print* Layout View does the
formatting appear as expected? [*- Terminology varies depending on version.]

In Word 2007 go to Office Button Word Options Advanced Show document
content, clear the check on Draft Font in Draft & Outline View.

In prior versions go to Tools Options View, clear the check on Draft Font.

If that isn't the solution you'd do better to post a New Message stating all
particulars rather than posting a Reply in a thread on a completely
unrelated subject. People who may have the solution may never see this
question if they haven't participated in the thread.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/10/09 4:49 PM, in article
, "Robin W"

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Default font - possible bulletproof fix in Word 2003 [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 0 January 14th 05 10:14 PM
Font Types - 2003 SJH Microsoft Word Help 8 January 13th 05 01:11 PM
Default font on envelope address Marcia Microsoft Word Help 1 January 6th 05 12:13 AM
Default Font Lloyd Microsoft Word Help 3 December 21st 04 04:42 PM
I cannot get font size 6 in Word 2003? JohnCR Microsoft Word Help 1 December 9th 04 12:12 PM