Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Style Council Style Council is offline

Default Drop-down designs

Hello. I've been reading a lot of helpful information on these boards about
drop-down lists in Word docs. I can add them fine, but I was wondering if
there's a setting I can use in Word 2007 to maintain the drop-down arrow and
border without having to click on the words for those graphics to appear. Our
Implementation group is creating a questionaire, and they believe it would be
less confusing for the drop-down highlighting to be "on" at all times and not
just when a reader/user has a cursor over the text.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin Sedelmeier
Technical Writer
QSR Automations, Inc.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Kevin,

If you use the 'legacy tools' version of the dropdown box, the dropdown arrow remains visible.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Style Council" wrote in message ...
Hello. I've been reading a lot of helpful information on these boards about
drop-down lists in Word docs. I can add them fine, but I was wondering if
there's a setting I can use in Word 2007 to maintain the drop-down arrow and
border without having to click on the words for those graphics to appear. Our
Implementation group is creating a questionaire, and they believe it would be
less confusing for the drop-down highlighting to be "on" at all times and not
just when a reader/user has a cursor over the text.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin Sedelmeier
Technical Writer
QSR Automations, Inc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Style Council Style Council is offline

macropod,

Thanks for the help. I went to the legacy tools and tried the drop-down list
from there, but I still can't see the drop-down arrow in the Word doc, and
now I can not see the options I entered in the Drop-Down Form Fields Options
dialog box, either. Obviously, there's something I'm not doing right. Do I
need macros? I've looked around the Internet as well, but nothing has helped.
In the words of Charlie Brown, "Auuuggghhh."
--
Kevin Sedelmeier
Technical Writer

"macropod" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Style Council Style Council is offline

Graham,

I have it so that "Your permissions" says: This document is protected from
unintentional editing. You may only fill in forms in this region." That's
from the Protect icon in my toolbar. However, when I click on the Protect
Document icon and try to change Unrestricted Access to Restricted Access, the
check mark next to Unrestricted Access doesn't change. Which setting should I
be concerned about?

Obviously, our Implemention department using this for customer input doesn't
want the customer to be able to add or delete any of the drop-down options -
which takes me back to the original problem they came to me with. They want
our customers to see the drop-down arrows and forms easily in the doc. Thanks
for your help and time with these questions.
--
Kevin Sedelmeier
Technical Writer

Style Council wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

From the Developer Toolbar
Protect Document
Check 'restrict formatting and editing'
Under '2. Editing restrictions' select 'Filling in forms'
Click Yes, Start Enforcing Protection.
Add a password at the next prompt (if required) then click OK

Style Council wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Style Council Style Council is offline

Graham,

Thanks. This looks more like it. If I scroll to the line where there's a
drop-down, the down arrow appears. I think it looks fine now.

Out of curiosity, is there any way to retain the arrow regardless if you are
on that particular line of text or not? For example, if someone was scrolling
through and reading the document on their PC, they could scan it and
immediately see which fields are drop-downs because of the arrows?

I appreciate all of the help.
--
Kevin Sedelmeier
Technical Writer