Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tablet user tablet user is offline

Default unable to select section breaks to delete

For some reason I am unable to highlight section breaks to delete them...all
the info in 'help' and in past posts here seems to assume that once you have
'show formatting' turned on, you should be able to just highlight and then
delete a section break, but I simply can't select them. Each section break is
represented by double lines and text that says "Section Break (Next Page)."
Does anyone have any suggestions for deleting these?

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: unable to select section breaks to delete

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble deleting section breaks in your Word document. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to delete section breaks:
  1. First, make sure that you have "Show/Hide" turned on. You can do this by clicking on the ¶ symbol in the "Paragraph" section of the "Home" tab.
  2. Once you have "Show/Hide" turned on, you should be able to see the section breaks in your document as double lines with the text "Section Break (Next Page)".
  3. To delete a section break, place your cursor at the beginning of the line just before the section break. Make sure that you are in the "Home" tab.
  4. Press the "Delete" key on your keyboard. This should delete the section break and merge the two sections together.
  5. Repeat this process for any other section breaks that you want to delete.

If you're still having trouble selecting the section breaks, try clicking and dragging your cursor over the section break to highlight it. You can also try clicking on the section break and pressing the "Delete" key on your keyboard.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

What happens if you click at the left end of the section break and then press
the Delete key?

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"tablet user" wrote:

For some reason I am unable to highlight section breaks to delete them...all
the info in 'help' and in past posts here seems to assume that once you have
'show formatting' turned on, you should be able to just highlight and then
delete a section break, but I simply can't select them. Each section break is
represented by double lines and text that says "Section Break (Next Page)."
Does anyone have any suggestions for deleting these?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tablet user tablet user is offline

If I do that it deletes the last letter of the word before the section break.
I can't click on the section break itself at all--can't click to the right of
it at all and when I click to the left as you suggested, all it does it
register that I'm trying to manipulate the text before the section break. If
I double click on the text that says 'section break (next page) it just
brings up the page setup pane.

"tablet user" wrote:

For some reason I am unable to highlight section breaks to delete them...all
the info in 'help' and in past posts here seems to assume that once you have
'show formatting' turned on, you should be able to just highlight and then
delete a section break, but I simply can't select them. Each section break is
represented by double lines and text that says "Section Break (Next Page)."
Does anyone have any suggestions for deleting these?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

It is normal that you cannot €śhighlight€ť a section breaks but you should be
able to delete it.

Are you sure you pressed the Delete key and not the Backspace key.

The _Delete_ key usually deletes characters to the right of the insertion
point (the key may be identified by e.g. "Del" or "Delete").

The _Backspace_ key usually deletes characters to the left of the insertion
point (the key is normally found above the Return/Enter key and may be
identified by an arrow pointing to the left).

--

"tablet user" wrote:

For some reason I am unable to highlight section breaks to delete them...all
the info in 'help' and in past posts here seems to assume that once you have
'show formatting' turned on, you should be able to just highlight and then
delete a section break, but I simply can't select them. Each section break is
represented by double lines and text that says "Section Break (Next Page)."
Does anyone have any suggestions for deleting these?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tablet user tablet user is offline

Oh geez, you're right! What a simple solution! And so good to know for the
future. Thanks SO much.

"tablet user" wrote:

For some reason I am unable to highlight section breaks to delete them...all
the info in 'help' and in past posts here seems to assume that once you have
'show formatting' turned on, you should be able to just highlight and then
delete a section break, but I simply can't select them. Each section break is
represented by double lines and text that says "Section Break (Next Page)."
Does anyone have any suggestions for deleting these?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
scarlett scarlett is offline

I have the same situation. I have tried all your suggestions and nothing
works. Am unable to highlight the section break or delete it. Very
frustrating. This happens every once in a while and is very hard to fix. I am
not sure how to fix it. I usually just end up retyping the document. How can
I fix this so I do not have to retype the document?

"tablet user" wrote:

For some reason I am unable to highlight section breaks to delete them...all
the info in 'help' and in past posts here seems to assume that once you have
'show formatting' turned on, you should be able to just highlight and then
delete a section break, but I simply can't select them. Each section break is
represented by double lines and text that says "Section Break (Next Page)."
Does anyone have any suggestions for deleting these?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If worst comes to worst, you don't need to retype it -- just copy and
paste all the text _except_ the interloping section break(s).