Steve

Default Command line switches

I want word to default to a certain template when I run from the desktop. (I
don't want to replace normal.dot.) The Word helpfile (after a lot of
searching) says you can use a /t switch from the command line (the Run
command from the Start menu) to specify a template name. However, the Run
command doesn't seem to recognise anything with a "/" symbol after the
filename. Is there a compatibility problem here? How can I achieve this? Can
it be done from a shortcut?

The full path for winword.exe must be enclosed in quotes. The slash must be
outside the quotes, preceded by a space; the template name must follow the
slash without a space, and its full path must also be enclosed in quotes.
For more, see “WD: Word Startup (Command-Line) Switches and Their Purpose”
at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=210565

"Steve" wrote in message
I want word to default to a certain template when I run from the desktop.

(I
don't want to replace normal.dot.) The Word helpfile (after a lot of
searching) says you can use a /t switch from the command line (the Run
command from the Start menu) to specify a template name. However, the Run
command doesn't seem to recognise anything with a "/" symbol after the
filename. Is there a compatibility problem here? How can I achieve this?

Can
it be done from a shortcut?

Beth Melton

Suzanne provided you with the info for using the /t switch, however
why not just create a shortcut to your template and use it instead?
The default action for Word templates is to create a new document
based on the template rather than opening the template for editing.

Personally I prefer this method since if I want to open the template
for editing I can right-click the shortcut and select "Open".

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/