Steve Atkinson

Default Template locations - Word 2003

OS XP Pro

Not really a new user but transitioning from 2000 to 2003. 2003 Help says
that if you put a template in the Templates folder, it will be an item in
the General tab, and that if you create a daughter folder in Templates a
separate tab will be created. Doesn't work as far as I can see, so I must
be doing something wrong. I only have on Templates folder (C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office) on the computer (well, Acrobat has one but . . .)

I tried putting templates in the 1033 folder because I thought I remembered
something about that, but no go.

What's the trick?

Charles Kenyon

You need to look in Tools Options File Locations for the location of
your templates folder. It should _not_ be the 1033 folder.
If you simply use save as and change the file type to template, Word will
automatically move to your user templates folder.

For more on the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog,
and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Steve Atkinson" wrote in message
OS XP Pro

Not really a new user but transitioning from 2000 to 2003. 2003 Help says
that if you put a template in the Templates folder, it will be an item in
the General tab, and that if you create a daughter folder in Templates a
separate tab will be created. Doesn't work as far as I can see, so I must
be doing something wrong. I only have on Templates folder (C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office) on the computer (well, Acrobat has one but . . .)

I tried putting templates in the 1033 folder because I thought I
remembered
something about that, but no go.

What's the trick?

1033 is the folder MS reserves for the templates it ships with Word (1033
represents the English language). User templates are saved in a different
folder, the path to which is listed on the File Locations tab of Tools |
Options. If you want your template to appear on one of the existing tabs,
you need to create a subfolder of that folder with the same name as the
label on that tab. See the following articles:

“Where Word Looks for Templates”
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=138059

“Categories, Locations, and Registry Keys for Word Templates”
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216595

“Frequently Asked Questions About the Location of Word 2003 Templates”
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826867

“Managing templates in Word 2003”
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=889495

"Steve Atkinson" wrote in message
OS XP Pro

Not really a new user but transitioning from 2000 to 2003. 2003 Help says
that if you put a template in the Templates folder, it will be an item in
the General tab, and that if you create a daughter folder in Templates a
separate tab will be created. Doesn't work as far as I can see, so I must
be doing something wrong. I only have on Templates folder (C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office) on the computer (well, Acrobat has one but . . .)

I tried putting templates in the 1033 folder because I thought I

remembered
something about that, but no go.

What's the trick?

JohnR

I believe its usually---C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates. At least that's where my Normal.dot is.

"Steve Atkinson" wrote in message
OS XP Pro

Not really a new user but transitioning from 2000 to 2003. 2003 Help says
that if you put a template in the Templates folder, it will be an item in
the General tab, and that if you create a daughter folder in Templates a
separate tab will be created. Doesn't work as far as I can see, so I must
be doing something wrong. I only have on Templates folder (C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office) on the computer (well, Acrobat has one but . . .)

I tried putting templates in the 1033 folder because I thought I
remembered
something about that, but no go.

What's the trick?

Word 2003 Mailmerge problem - works in Word 2000 Rick Robinson Mailmerge 2 April 28th 05 10:16 AM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Moving templates to other computer GeorgeMar Microsoft Word Help 10 February 19th 05 04:59 AM