Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] chrisb@imcinternet.net is offline

Default Any way to lock specific part of document?

Hello...

I am wondering if there is any way to lock a specific part of a
document? In other words, If I wanted to create a public document for
everyone to use, is there anyway to lock certain parts of this
document so other users cannot enter information, and leave the rest
of the document for entering?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A protected form can have unprotected sections. You'll need to insert
section breaks to separate the protected and unprotected portions. For more,
see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm and
especially the forms tutorials by Dian Chapman that this article links to.

wrote in message
Hello...

I am wondering if there is any way to lock a specific part of a
document? In other words, If I wanted to create a public document for
everyone to use, is there anyway to lock certain parts of this
document so other users cannot enter information, and leave the rest
of the document for entering?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thomas M. Thomas M. is offline

I have a different question on this same issue.

I just got a call from a user who is working with a document that has
protected fields. The person who protected the fields no longer works here,
and none of the current employees know the password required to unlock those
fields. My guess is that they are out of luck. Nonetheless, I will pose
the question here in order to have my guess either confirmed or proven
wrong.

Is there a way to remove the password from protected fields when the current
password is unknown?

--Tom

wrote in message
Hello...

I am wondering if there is any way to lock a specific part of a
document? In other words, If I wanted to create a public document for
everyone to use, is there anyway to lock certain parts of this
document so other users cannot enter information, and leave the rest
of the document for entering?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Forms protection is easily dealt with. Just insert the protected form into a
new blank document. The protection will be removed.

Note that the above does *not* apply to documents that have been password
protected with a password to open. In such cases the entire document is
encrypted, and if you don't know the password you're pretty much just out of
luck.

wrote in message
Hello...

I am wondering if there is any way to lock a specific part of a
document? In other words, If I wanted to create a public document for
everyone to use, is there anyway to lock certain parts of this
document so other users cannot enter information, and leave the rest
of the document for entering?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thomas M. Thomas M. is offline

Interesting. I had the user attempt to copy the form to another document,
be he reported that he is unable to select any text in the document. So,
maybe the entire text of the document has been protected?

wrote in message
Hello...

I am wondering if there is any way to lock a specific part of a
document? In other words, If I wanted to create a public document for
everyone to use, is there anyway to lock certain parts of this
document so other users cannot enter information, and leave the rest
of the document for entering?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To insert the form into a new document, create a new document and use Insert

wrote in message
Hello...

I am wondering if there is any way to lock a specific part of a
document? In other words, If I wanted to create a public document for
everyone to use, is there anyway to lock certain parts of this
document so other users cannot enter information, and leave the rest
of the document for entering?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thomas M. Thomas M. is offline

Ahh! You meant "insert" as in literally insert! Well why didn't you say
so? Oh, wait a minute, you did. ;-)

I had the user do the Insert | File and it worked. Thanks for the help!