Duplicate lines in addresses

Default eliminate dulpicate lines in address during mailmerge

I'm a UK accountant using an accountant's software package(IRIS). When
creating letters, to either single or multiple clients, it sucks elements of
an address from various bits of the database.Sometimes this results in add
line 1 being the same as add line2.I think maybe smart tags could solve this?
Or do I need some autoexec programming-but does this run after the
mergefields are inserted.Help please.
Peter Jamieson

As long as you are using individual fields and not ADDRESSBLOCK, the
following might work:

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD "add line 2" }" = "{ MERGEFIELD "add line 1" }"
"" "{ MERGEFIELD "add line 1" }
" }{ MERGEFIELD "add line 2" }

All the {} need to be the special field braces you can insert using ctrl-F9

Peter Jamieson

"Duplicate lines in addresses" Duplicate lines in
wrote in message
news
I'm a UK accountant using an accountant's software package(IRIS). When
creating letters, to either single or multiple clients, it sucks elements
of
an address from various bits of the database.Sometimes this results in add
line 1 being the same as add line2.I think maybe smart tags could solve
this?
Or do I need some autoexec programming-but does this run after the
mergefields are inserted.Help please.

Duplicate lines in addresses

Thanks.Failed on first attempt,as mergefield addline 2 was blank.Also, cntrlC
cntrlV doesnt work,so I had to carefully retype the whole thing,&count
brackets,even after retyping.Is there an easier way?I should add I was doing
this in the office on an old version of Word.At home (now) I have Word 2003.
My test should actually been on the addressee & business name,not
add1/add2.The addressee is three fields:Title,First name,Surname.How do I
concatenate these to then perform the test.
Yours very gratefully
Danny

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

As long as you are using individual fields and not ADDRESSBLOCK, the
following might work:

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD "add line 2" }" = "{ MERGEFIELD "add line 1" }"
"" "{ MERGEFIELD "add line 1" }
" }{ MERGEFIELD "add line 2" }

All the {} need to be the special field braces you can insert using ctrl-F9

Peter Jamieson

"Duplicate lines in addresses" Duplicate lines in
wrote in message
news
I'm a UK accountant using an accountant's software package(IRIS). When
creating letters, to either single or multiple clients, it sucks elements
of
an address from various bits of the database.Sometimes this results in add
line 1 being the same as add line2.I think maybe smart tags could solve
this?
Or do I need some autoexec programming-but does this run after the
mergefields are inserted.Help please.

Peter Jamieson

Not sure why { MERGEFIELD addline 2 } being blank would cause failure but
perhpas my logic circuits aren't working very well today!

The addressee is three fields:Title,First name,Surname.How do I
concatenate these to then perform the test.

You should be able to do

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD Title }{ MERGEFIELD "First name" }{ MERGEFIELD Surname }"
etc.

Or you can do

{ SET TiFiSu "{ MERGEFIELD Title }{ MERGEFIELD "First name" }{ MERGEFIELD
Surname }" }

then

{ IF "{ REF TiFiSu }" and so on...

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

As long as you are using individual fields and not ADDRESSBLOCK, the
following might work:

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD "add line 2" }" = "{ MERGEFIELD "add line 1" }"
"" "{ MERGEFIELD "add line 1" }
" }{ MERGEFIELD "add line 2" }

All the {} need to be the special field braces you can insert using
ctrl-F9

Peter Jamieson

"Duplicate lines in addresses" Duplicate lines in
wrote in message
news
I'm a UK accountant using an accountant's software package(IRIS). When
creating letters, to either single or multiple clients, it sucks
elements
of
an address from various bits of the database.Sometimes this results in
add
line 1 being the same as add line2.I think maybe smart tags could solve
this?
Or do I need some autoexec programming-but does this run after the
mergefields are inserted.Help please.

Duplicate lines in addresses

Thanks Peter,that did the trick.
Danny

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

As long as you are using individual fields and not ADDRESSBLOCK, the
following might work:

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD "add line 2" }" = "{ MERGEFIELD "add line 1" }"
"" "{ MERGEFIELD "add line 1" }
" }{ MERGEFIELD "add line 2" }

All the {} need to be the special field braces you can insert using
ctrl-F9

Peter Jamieson

"Duplicate lines in addresses" Duplicate lines in
news I'm a UK accountant using an accountant's software package(IRIS). When