Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ladypep Ladypep is offline

Default Page X of Y Formatting

I am creating a document that has a cover page (no headers or footers) and
then however many TOC pages is needed. The next pages will be the actual
document and those page numbers will begin with 1. I have two questions here.

The first is this: When I set up the TOC pages footer, I want them to be in
roman numerals. I can tell it to format in roman numberals, but it only
converts the Page X part to roman, while Y remains arabic, so it shows
basicallly like this: Page i of 2. How can I get it to format the Y part to
roman also? I've selected and tried it several times to no avail.

The second question is this: The document pages will begin with Page 1 of Y
but because there are 3 pages that come before that, the Y is numbered as 4.
(Page 1 of 4). I want it to number as Page 1 of 1 for the actual document.
The only way I've found to accomplish this so far is to delete the Y part and
manually put in the total number of pages of the document. This works okay
until the document is modified and page numbers change. If you forget to go
back and update Y on the 1st page, then it will be incorrect. For instance,
if the entire document according to Word is 25 pages long, counting the cover
page and 2 TOC pages, then the first page of the actual document will read
Page 1 of 25. The actual document would only be 22 pages, though, because I
don't want to count the cover or TOC page as part of that. If I do, the last
page in the document reads Page 22 of 25, making it appear that there are 3
pages missing. Is there a way to make the Y part automatically count the
number of pages from the 3rd section so that they are correct without any
manual manipulatin?

Thanks!
Sherry
--
Sherry
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm for the
answer to many of your questions.

You can add a \*roman switch to the SectionPages field to get roman
numerals. If you have more than two sections, you won't be able to use the
SectionPages field for the rest of the document. For that you'll have to put
a bookmark on the last page and use a PAGEREF field referencing that
bookmark (Insert | Reference | Cross-reference).