Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] ewout.boter@home.nl is offline

Default Problems with absolute positioning

I am trying to create a template document that will be used in a merge
operation. The merged data will be printed on a pre-printed form. To
get all data on exactly the right spot, I use absolute positioning.
However, absolute doesn't seem to be that absolute. When I enter 2.5
cm and option Page in the window Advanced Layout, the text box starts
at about 3.7 cm. A text box that is printed lower on the page (at 25.5
cm) starts at 25.9 cm. Thus, the difference between the distance
entered in the window Advanced Layout and the actual distance as
measured on a printed document is not constant. A constant offset
would have been acceptable, but this varying difference is a real
nuisance.

Can anyone explain this to me, and tell me what I should do to make
real absolute positioning possible?

Ewout

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

On Nov 3, 3:43*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
This is the actual position of the text box or of the text in the box?

It is the actual position of the text box. I have given the text box a
border, so that I can measure the distance precisely.

Ewout

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

On Nov 3, 4:56*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Could this be a printer feed issue?

Probably. Why do these things have to be so difficult? I just want to
print something on a particular spot. And I don't want to be bothered
by printer issues. Shouldn't a driver be able to do the required math?

Well, currently I am thinking to use positioning relative to the
margins. But I'm afraid I will run into other problems.

Ewout