Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony 99 Tony 99 is offline

Default How do I open a doc when message says name or path not valid

Error message says can't open file because document name or path not valid.
I've checked and double checked and don't see why there is a problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
USEN USEN is offline

Hi Tony...check your spelling very carefully. Also, if you're using a
shortcut or trying to choose the file from the "recent file" list generated
by Word, try browsing directly to the file to open it.

"Tony 99" wrote:

Error message says can't open file because document name or path not valid.
I've checked and double checked and don't see why there is a problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

First see how to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm and if that doesn't
fix it select a document in Windows Explorer, right click and choose Open
with...

From the ensuing dialog select Word (winword.exe) and check the box to
always open with this application.

Tony 99 wrote:
Error message says can't open file because document name or path not
valid. I've checked and double checked and don't see why there is a
problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Erik Klassified[_2_] Erik Klassified[_2_] is offline

This worked for me:

First, make sure you have the most recent service pack for Windows.

Open Word and click Open to open a file.

Select the document that you want to open (just high-light it; don't open it).

Next to the Open button (bottom right corner), hit the down arrow, and
select "Open and Repair."

I hope this helps.