Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Automate a page number within the text of a document

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:01:00 -0800, pj
wrote:

I am using Word 2003 and was wondering if anyone knows how to make reference
to a page number within a document?

For example my sentence might say '...for instructions on tabbing go to page
XX'.
I would like to substitute XX for the page number and have it automatically
change whenever the pagination changes.

I have page numbering set up in the footers already.

Insert a bookmark somewhere on the page -- maybe in the heading of the
section you want to refer to. Give the bookmark a recognizable name,
such as "TabInstruct" (you can't use spaces in a bookmark name, but
underscores are allowed).

At the places where you want to refer to that page, insert a PageRef
field containing the bookmark's name. When you use the Insert Field
dialog and choose the PageRef from the list on the left, you can
choose the bookmark's name from the list in the middle.

When the pagination changes, you have to force an update of the
fields. One way is to go to Page Preview and back (assuming the Update
Fields option is checked in Tools Options Print). Another way is
to select all (Ctrl+A) and update fields (F9).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman