Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default Can't seem to format envelopes (permanently)...

Howdy,

I run Word 2002 SP3 under XP and just changed default
printers.

Assuming that I might have to alter envelope formatting, I
just ran a test.

As I expected might happen, the outgoing address text prints
too high, and too far to the left.

But, I can't figure out how to modify the location, and have
the modification stick.

The help file says to make the modification to the "envelope
style" but no such appears in my list of styles.

How should I proceed...?

Sincere thanks,
--
Kenneth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:13:00 -0400, Kenneth
wrote:

Howdy,

I run Word 2002 SP3 under XP and just changed default
printers.

Assuming that I might have to alter envelope formatting, I
just ran a test.

As I expected might happen, the outgoing address text prints
too high, and too far to the left.

But, I can't figure out how to modify the location, and have
the modification stick.

The help file says to make the modification to the "envelope
style" but no such appears in my list of styles.

How should I proceed...?

Sincere thanks,

Hello again,

I found, and followed, these steps:

Load the Normal.dot template. (This is the default template
used by Word whenever you create a blank document.)

Display the Envelopes and Labels dialog box. You do this in
Word 97 and Word 2000 by choosing Tools | Envelopes and
Labels. You do this in Word 2002 and Word 2003 by choosing
Tools | Letters and Mailings | Envelopes and Labels. In Word
2007 you choose the Mailings tab from the ribbon and then
click Envelopes within the Create group.

Click on the Envelopes tab. (Click here to see a related
figure.)

Click on the Options button. Word displays the Envelope
Options dialog box.

Make sure the Envelope Options tab is selected. (Click here
to see a related figure.)

In the appropriate fields, change the positioning of the
addresses, as desired.

Click on OK to close the Envelope Options dialog box.

Click on Add to Document. This inserts an envelope in your
template (which you have open, remember?).

Choose Select All from the Edit menu. This selects all the
envelope information that was just added to your document by
Word.

Press the Del key. The envelope is removed from your
document.

Save the template by clicking on the Save tool or by
choosing Save from the File menu.
Close the template.

but, though the "Preview" looks fine, the text still prints
far to the left, and slightly high. The modifications I make
to the text location in the Options dialog appear with the
changes I made (that is, they have "stuck" in NORMAL.DOT)
but they have no effect at all on the actual printing.

Thanks again,
--
Kenneth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lem Lem is offline

wrote:

[...]

I had what I think is the same problem as you: both the letter address
and the return address were shifted to the left, as if I was printing on
8.5 x 11 (letter size) paper instead of a #10 envelope (4 1/8 x 9 1/2).

All the Word styles and other settings were correct. The preview of the
envelope looked correct, but still printed shifted. And the same
problem happened in a different word processor (Wordperfect 9).

The solution that worked for me was to completely uninstall and
reinstall the software and drivers for my printer (an hp laserjet 1300).

If you have a different printer and/or a different word processing
application, see if the problem (a) happens on the same printer
regardless of word processor application and (b) does not happen on a
different printer. If so, uninstall and reinstall your printer driver.
See http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm for directions
(and don't forget to disconnect the printer and not re-connect it until
prompted to do so by the installer).

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:06:35 -0400, Lem
wrote:

SNIP

Hi Lem,

The new printer is a LaserJet 3600n...

I will try your uninstall-reinstall suggestion shortly, and
will report back.

Sincere thanks,
--
Kenneth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm
and you may find an updated driver at http://www.hp.com/pond/ljbeta/

wrote:

SNIP

Hi Lem,

The new printer is a LaserJet 3600n...

I will try your uninstall-reinstall suggestion shortly, and
will report back.

Sincere thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 08:46:59 +0300, "Graham Mayor"
wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm
and you may find an updated driver at http://www.hp.com/pond/ljbeta/

Hi Graham,

I had already followed the steps in your article, but they
had no effect on the position of the address.

Also, the driver I used was the most recent available on the
HP site. I could, of course, try the beta as you suggest,
but I think that first I will uninstall, and reinstall what
I have.

I will let you know of my results, and thank you for your
help,
--
Kenneth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm
and you may find an updated driver at http://www.hp.com/pond/ljbeta/

Hello Graham,

I uninstalled the driver (using the CD), and then
re-installed (again using the CD.)

To my surprise, a dialog opened telling me that I already
had the driver, and asking if I wanted to overwrite it.

I chose to do that, and completed the installation.

When I tried to print an envelope, I had the same result as
earlier:

The outgoing address text appears to the far left of the
envelope just beneath the area of the return address.

Next, I followed the steps that you suggested, but that is
where things got more interesting:

First, I saw that if the letter included:

Joe Smith
123 His Street
Histown NH 12345

Dear Joe,

If I clicked the envelope icon, ALL of the above appeared
whether or not, I selected only the address.

Next, (after deleting "Dear Joe," from the envelope dialog,
the preview looked fine.

But when I clicked "Add to Document" the envelope format
that appeared did not match the preview. Instead, it showed
the address as it would actually print, that is, hard to the
left.

At that point, I clicked on the address in the hope that it
would reveal the frame, but I cannot make it appear.

What might you suggest as my next step?

Very sincere thanks as before,
--
Kenneth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I suggest that you rename normal.dot to normal.old and try again. It sounds
as though you have screwed up the paragraph styles associated with
envelopes. Either that or download the envelope samples from my web site and
if they print correctly, copy the Envelope Address and Envelope Return
styles from one of them to normal.dot using the organizer.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 17:04:39 +0300, "Graham Mayor"
wrote:

I suggest that you rename normal.dot to normal.old and try again. It sounds
as though you have screwed up the paragraph styles associated with
envelopes. Either that or download the envelope samples from my web site and
if they print correctly, copy the Envelope Address and Envelope Return
styles from one of them to normal.dot using the organizer.

Hi Graham,

We are on the same path, but rather than renaming
NORMAL.DOT, I just restored an image of an earlier template
that I know is good.

With that, I am baffled by the latest thing I see:

Typically, if I want to send a letter (and print an
envelope) I go to my database, locate the record of the
recipient, and click to dump that person's address to a TXT
file.

Then, I launch Word, open a new doc, and run a macro that
inserts today's date, the address file, skips a line, and
enters the salutation.

Then I type the text of the letter itself.

Here is what is happening now -

If I open a new doc and type in some address text, the
envelope prints properly.

If, instead, I use the macro I described to enter the
address text, the printing fails in that the outgoing
address prints (approximately) where the return address
should be.

Experimenting further, I found that if I create a doc that
included both, one after the other looking like this:

Typed Line 1
Typed Line 2
Typed Line 3
Merge Line 1
Merge Line 2
Merge Line 3

When I print the envelope, it looks like this:

__________________________________
| Merge Line 1 |
| Merge Line 2 |
| Merge Line 3 |
| |
| |
| Typed Line 1 |
| Typed Line 2 |
| Typed Line 3 |
| |
| _________________________________|

I must admit that I am completely baffled.

Might you have any further thoughts?

Sincere thanks, as before,
--
Kenneth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

wrote:

[...]

Hi again,

Experimenting a bit further -

If I copy the merged address with its last paragraph marker
into a new doc, and attempt to print the envelope, it prints
as the return address.

If, instead, I copy the merged address WITHOUT its last
paragraph marker into a new doc, when I print the envelope,
it prints properly.

Thanks yet again,
--
Kenneth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lem Lem is offline

wrote:

[...]

I haven't attempted to follow the back and forth between you and Graham,
and perhaps you have things sorted by now, but if when you uninstalled
the printer driver using the hp CD and got a message to the effect that
the driver was still there, you probably did not remove *all* of the
driver and its related remnants -- and merely overwriting the driver may
have left some mis-setting intact.

Try following the steps at
http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm (and if you *really*
want to clean out printer drivers, see
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm)

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I haven't been following this too closely, but the mention of paragraph
marks leads me to point out that if you paste text including a paragraph
mark, you're pasting a style as well of the text. If that style isn't the
Envelope Address style, then naturally it won't be in the right place.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

wrote:

[...]

At the suggestion of a very helpful HP tech support person,
I ran the scrubber that they have on their site.

Then I reinstalled, and on that occasion did not get the
message that the driver already existed.

Still, I have the problem I have described.

I'm scheduled to talk with the HP person tomorrow, so we
shall see...

Thanks,
--
Kenneth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 16:09:43 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

I haven't been following this too closely, but the mention of paragraph
marks leads me to point out that if you paste text including a paragraph
mark, you're pasting a style as well of the text. If that style isn't the
Envelope Address style, then naturally it won't be in the right place.

Hi Suzanne,

I understand your comment, but am confused about the
implication...

The text that I paste in looks like this:

Joe Blow
123 His Street
Histown NH 12345

Dear Joey,

and, indeed, it ends with a paragraph mark.

But they way things always worked in the past, when I
clicked on the envelope icon, it took the first three lines
(only) as the text of the address.

Because of that, I don't see how the terminal paragraph mark
could have any effect at all.

Can you say a bit more about why it would be involved?

Sincere thanks,
--
Kenneth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lem Lem is offline

wrote:

[...]

Good luck. Some of the hp techs actually *do* seem to know what they're
doing. If you do get a solution from hp, please do post back. As I
said, I was able to fix my similar problem by uninstalling and
re-installing the driver, but I'd really like to know what was going on.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It might help if you posted your macro code so that we can see how it
formats the letter. How then are you extracting the address from the letter
to the envelope? If you are doing that by macro then clearly the macro isn't
applying the required styles to format the envelope correctly.

Rather than substitute a normal template that you believe is good, rename
the normal template and allow Word to build a new one so we *know* it is
good!

_________________________________|

I must admit that I am completely baffled.

Might you have any further thoughts?

Sincere thanks, as before,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 23:02:52 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

If you're pasting it into a letter and creating an envelope from the letter,
it shouldn't cause problems. If you were pasting the text into an envelope,
it might.

Whew...

Thanks for the clarification.

I am pasting into a letter.

Then, when the letter is competed, I run the envelope
process.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 00:21:42 -0400, Lem
wrote:

Good luck. Some of the hp techs actually *do* seem to know what they're
doing. If you do get a solution from hp, please do post back. As I
said, I was able to fix my similar problem by uninstalling and
re-installing the driver, but I'd really like to know what was going on.

Hi Lem,

My apologies if I already mentioned this...

I had wasted a ton of time with an HP "tech" but then had a
new idea.

I called, and explained to the "service router" that I could
waste no further time with the problem.

The options I described were simple:

Provide me a real technician, or instructions to return the
printer for a refund.

In moments, I found myself talking with a very highly
competent woman, and I will be talking with her again today.

If we get this sorted out, I will certainly let you know,
--
Kenneth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:50:24 +0300, "Graham Mayor"
wrote:

Hi Graham,

Please see my comments inline below...

It might help if you posted your macro code so that we can see how it
formats the letter.

Here is the code (generated by recording, then tweaking, so
it has lots of extra junk, but it works perfectly with the
LaserJet 2500 and fails with the LaserJet 3600n.)

Sub Let1()
'
' Let1 Macro
' Macro recorded 8/5/99 by Kenneth Sole
'
Selection.TypeText Text:=vbTab & vbTab & vbTab & vbTab &
vbTab & vbTab & _
vbTab & vbTab
Selection.InsertDateTime DateTimeFormat:="MMMM' 'd',
'yyyy", InsertAsField _
:=False, DateLanguage:=wdEnglishUS,
CalendarType:=wdCalendarWestern, _
InsertAsFullWidth:=False
Selection.TypeParagraph
Selection.TypeParagraph
ChangeFileOpenDirectory "Z:\data\"
Selection.InsertFile FileName:="let", Range:="",
ConfirmConversions:=False _
, Link:=False, Attachment:=False
Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdStory, Extend:=wdExtend
With Selection.Font
.Name = "Arial"
.Size = 12
.Bold = False
.Italic = False
.Underline = wdUnderlineNone
.UnderlineColor = wdColorAutomatic
.StrikeThrough = False
.DoubleStrikeThrough = False
.Outline = False
.Emboss = False
.Shadow = False
.Hidden = False
.SmallCaps = False
.AllCaps = False
.Color = wdColorBlack
.Engrave = False
.Superscript = False
.Subscript = False
.Spacing = 0
.Scaling = 100
.Position = 0
.Kerning = 0
.Animation = wdAnimationNone
End With
Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdStory
End Sub

How then are you extracting the address from the letter
to the envelope? If you are doing that by macro then clearly the macro isn't
applying the required styles to format the envelope correctly.

When I used the 2500 I would have a blank doc open and then
would run the macro. After that, the doc looked like this:

April 10, 2008

Joe Blow
12345 6th Street
Histown NH 54321

Dear Joey,

Letter body here.
Letter body here.
Letter body here.

When finished, (having selected nothing) I would click on
the envelope icon, and the envelope dialog would show:

Joe Blow
12345 6th Street
Histown NH 54321

in the recipient address field and the preview looked as it
should.

Next, I would click Print, insert the envelope, and it would
print properly.

Now, however, when I follow those steps, nothing at all
appears in the envelope dialog in the recipient's address
field.

So, instead of clicking the envelope icon, I first select
the address, when I click the envelope icon the dialog field
shows:

Joe Blow
12345 6th Street
Histown NH 54321

Dear Joey,

Letter body here.
Letter body here.
Letter body here.

This is, everything in the letter (except for the date) is
included.

That happens if I select anything that is part of the
address, the salutation, or the letter body itself.

If, instead, I select all, or part, of the date, only the
date is put into the envelope dialog.

In all these cases just described, if I edit the contents of
the recipient's address dialog to include only the address,
when I print, the resulting text is located in the return
address area of the envelope.

Rather than substitute a normal template that you believe is good, rename
the normal template and allow Word to build a new one so we *know* it is
good!

I just did that, and have exactly the results I have
described above.

As I may have mentioned, I have an appointment to talk with
competent tech folks from HP later today, but I would
certainly welcome any further thoughts you might have.

Many thanks, as before,
--
Kenneth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

While personally I would use a letterhead template with the styles and tabs
already set so that you don't have to enter umpteen tabs and empty
paragraphs and I would apply the style InsideAddress to the address section
I can't see anything in your macro or procedure that would cause the problem
you are experiencing.

As the procedure works with the LJ2500 have you tried printing to the LJ2500
driver with the 3600 printer attached to the output. As I only know about
these printers what I read on the internet I cannot confirm that this will
work, but as HP printers are essentially similar in technology their drivers
are often interchangeable (albeit with differences associated with features
of the printers). If it works you can switch drivers for envelope printing -
see http://www.gmayor.com/fax_from_word.htm which explains how to do that.

HP hardware is excellent but their software is often dreadful. They have a
site http://www.hp.com/pond/ljbeta/ which I mentioned earlier, where they
post beta drivers to attempt to keep up with the problems, but they don't
give it too much publicity.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:22:03 +0300, "Graham Mayor"
wrote:

As the procedure works with the LJ2500 have you tried printing to the LJ2500
driver with the 3600 printer attached to the output.

Hi Graham,

Well, I just tried that, but the 3600n will not print at all
with the 2500 driver.

I do have a work-around, but it is not as convenient as the
technique I used to use.

I am eager to see what the HP folks suggest later today.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

wrote:

[...]

I just spent some time with a very competent person from HP.

Among other things, she explained that the printer is "Host
based" in that it uses only formatting it is sent by the
system.

With that, she was pointing in the direction of all this
being a Word problem, rather than printer related.

The simplest way I could check was to print envelopes to
another printer, and she appears to be correct. With another
printer installed, I have exactly the problem I have
described.

So, it appears that there is something in the inserted text
that is causing the problem, but I have no idea how to try
to find it, and, as I described, the macro is one that I
have used with no trouble for years.

Thanks for any further thoughts,
--
Kenneth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lem Lem is offline

wrote:

[...]

Very interesting. In my situation, when I printed to a different
printer I did NOT have the problem.

I knew about "host based" printers, but I wouldn't have thought that the
laserjet 2600n fell into that category, which I always associated with
inexpensive low-end printers
(http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/H/host_based_printer.html)

I guess hp has expanded that somewhat:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ectID=bpl07860

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:17:21 -0400, Lem
wrote:

I knew about "host based" printers, but I wouldn't have thought that the
laserjet 2600n fell into that category, which I always associated with
inexpensive low-end printers
(http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/H/host_based_printer.html)

Hi Lem,

It was interesting...

When she explained the host base stuff to me she suggested
that instead of the 3600n I might be better off with their
3650 (IIRC).

While we were on the phone, I checked on it, and it was
about twice the price.

Less than 1% of the stuff we print is color, so I have
invested more than enough already.

For now, I am printing monochrome to one printer, and color
to this new one. I'll just go with the monochrome for
envelopes.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Kenneth wrote:

I am eager to see what the HP folks suggest later today.

Let us know if they come up with anything

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Unlike some other applications, Word interrogates the printer driver and
will format the document according to what it finds. If the output looks
correct in the print preview then it is almost certainly the driver that is
at fault. The print preview is determined by the driver. If the printer is
unable to translate that then it is the printer rather than Word that is at
issue.

For some reason several printer manufacturers have been unable to get the
business of printing envelopes correct. Lexmark for example prints black
envelope text not from the black ink but from a combination of colours to
create black, thus if one colour runs out prematurely you get some odd
coloured text on the envelope.

If you are using a monochrome printer to print envelopes, as a workaround,
you can do so transparently using the method I suggested at