Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Default From pdf to rtf to editable text?

Texts have arrived that were scanned into pdf format. My administrative
assistant, whose computer has Adobe Acrobat, converted the files to rtf for
me. When I opened the files in Word 2007 they could be read, but the files
were treated as pictures not text, and I was unable to edit and process them
as text.

Is there a way to open these files in Word 2007 so that they can be edited
as text documents?

Thank you for any help that you can give.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

How were they scanned in as .pdf files? I suspect something was done
incorrectly at some point. I would suggest scanning them in as a .tif file
and then use Office Document Imaging to convert to text.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Prof. JR" wrote in message
Texts have arrived that were scanned into pdf format. My administrative
assistant, whose computer has Adobe Acrobat, converted the files to rtf
for
me. When I opened the files in Word 2007 they could be read, but the
files
were treated as pictures not text, and I was unable to edit and process
them
as text.

Is there a way to open these files in Word 2007 so that they can be edited
as text documents?

Thank you for any help that you can give.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Our multifunction printer/copier/scanner/fax/coffemaker/dishwasher/go-cart
at work does that. (No, it doesn't really make coffee, do dishes, or give us
an alternative form of transprtation. Darn it!)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Prof. JR" wrote in message
Texts have arrived that were scanned into pdf format. My administrative
assistant, whose computer has Adobe Acrobat, converted the files to rtf
for
me. When I opened the files in Word 2007 they could be read, but the
files
were treated as pictures not text, and I was unable to edit and process
them
as text.

Is there a way to open these files in Word 2007 so that they can be
edited
as text documents?

Thank you for any help that you can give.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JenJen72 JenJen72 is offline

Open the pdf document. On the toolbar, look for the 'select' button
(usually is located in the middle on the second row). This will allow you to
highlight text only. You can then copy and paste text (including tables)
into word. However, you'll lose most of the formatting.

--
JenJen72

"Prof. JR" wrote:

Texts have arrived that were scanned into pdf format. My administrative
assistant, whose computer has Adobe Acrobat, converted the files to rtf for
me. When I opened the files in Word 2007 they could be read, but the files
were treated as pictures not text, and I was unable to edit and process them
as text.

Is there a way to open these files in Word 2007 so that they can be edited
as text documents?

Thank you for any help that you can give.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There is an interesting free PDF converter at
http://www.download.com/Free-PDF-To-....html?hhTest=1
However it does make you work for your trouble by presenting mathematical
problems to solve before it will let you use it (after the first couple of
conversions). You can easily work these out using Excel and user feedback
reports that after answering a few of these questions it gets bored and
stops asking any more. If you want the text to be really editable, uncheck
its 'uses text boxes' option.

It will convert files saved from graphics to text.

Prof. JR wrote:
Texts have arrived that were scanned into pdf format. My
administrative assistant, whose computer has Adobe Acrobat, converted
the files to rtf for me. When I opened the files in Word 2007 they
could be read, but the files were treated as pictures not text, and I
was unable to edit and process them as text.

Is there a way to open these files in Word 2007 so that they can be
edited as text documents?

Thank you for any help that you can give.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Graham,

It seems that recently the landscape is changing from having no free PDF to Word/text programs to a rapidly growing set of them.

The one you mentioned (the home page is http://free-pdf-to-word.com) for example, another at
http://www.somepdf.com/some-pdf-to-word-converter.html and another at http://hellopdf.com . The first one didn't mention on their
home page anything about the 'math test' use requirement g, the others let you off that hook

I don't have a current Adobe Acrobat set, do I recall correctly that you do have that tool?. If so, if Prof JR, has that (as
mentioned in the first post) does Acrobat containt the PDF to Word/RTF capability without going through OCR, or without using one of
the above products?

==============
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message ...
There is an interesting free PDF converter at
http://www.download.com/Free-PDF-To-....html?hhTest=1
However it does make you work for your trouble by presenting mathematical
problems to solve before it will let you use it (after the first couple of
conversions). You can easily work these out using Excel and user feedback
reports that after answering a few of these questions it gets bored and
stops asking any more. If you want the text to be really editable, uncheck
its 'uses text boxes' option.

It will convert files saved from graphics to text.

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I was surprised when (I think) Jay mentioned it a short while back.

It might run you through a few hoops, but it is as effective as any of the
not so free ones I have tried (though personally I would always use
Finereader). I'll have a look at the other one you mentioned.

Acrobat will certainly save to RTF, but the RTF so saved will only be
editable if the document that the PDF was created from contained editable
text. If the text is a graphic - eg Copy and paste special back into Word as
a graphic - then Acrobat will retain the graphic format. The free (with
strings) tool will change it back to text.

Bob Buckland ?:-) wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The second link you quoted appears to be another copy of the application for
mathematicians
The first one seems to work OK and is quite simple to configure from the
main screen. I may keep that one

Bob Buckland ?:-) wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Thank you, everyone, for your help:

These essays were all secured through Inter-Library Loan (ILL), which is a
library service that scans and sends articles not at your home research
library. How the articles are done depends entirely on the ILL library that
responds to your request, but they all arrive pdf.

The files are different foreign language articles from which I will use some
quotations in the current book on which I'm working. Typing in some
languages required special letters or diacritical marks which can be inserted
from a symbol button, but the process can get laborious and I was hoping to
be able to simply cut and paste. Printing the files, and running them
through a scanner, and saving them in rtf, doesn't help because the OCR
software can't read the foreign characters and gets confused by footnotes,
running home to daddy and producing funny results. The
printer/copier/scanner/fax/coffemaker/dishwasher/go-cart in the faculty
office may (or may not) have the ability to accept different OCR software,
but getting that changed would be more laborious than typing in diacritical
marks through the old hunt-and-peck method.

Once upon a time, when I wore bell-bottoms something like my nine year-old
daughter now wears, I had advanced placement in calculus when I went to
college. Perhaps it's time to dust off some math skills, eh?

Thanks again.

John

Bob Buckland ?:-) wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Hi Folks,

As Ms. Barnhill suggests above, ILL libraries may have scanned these files
in as pictures because Word treats them as such, as does other software that
I have. I'm not sure I can actually arrive at text that the conversion
software, mentioned by Mr. Mayor and Mr. Buckland, will be able to read.
Maybe I'm out of luck and must return to the scriptorium of word processing,
carefully entering the text by hand.

John

Bob Buckland ?:-) wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Aug 20, 11:33 am, Prof. JR
wrote:
Thank you, everyone, for your help:

These essays were all secured through Inter-Library Loan (ILL), which is a
library service that scans and sends articles not at your home research
library. How the articles are done depends entirely on the ILL library that
responds to your request, but they all arrive pdf.

They must be pretty obscure if they're not in JSTOR!

The files are different foreign language articles from which I will use some
quotations in the current book on which I'm working. Typing in some
languages required special letters or diacritical marks which can be inserted
from a symbol button, but the process can get laborious and I was hoping to
be able to simply cut and paste.

OCR (however good it may be) is usually stumped by diacritics anyway.

You should devise a systematic set of keyboard shortcuts for your
accented letters -- for instance, I use Ctrl-Alt-hyphen, {letter} for
all macrons, Ctrl-Alt-v, {letter} for all hacheks, Ctrl-Alt-u {letter}
for all breves, etc. (Install them from the Insert Symbol panel,
lower portion.)

Printing the files, and running them
through a scanner, and saving them in rtf, doesn't help because the OCR
software can't read the foreign characters and gets confused by footnotes,
running home to daddy and producing funny results. The
printer/copier/scanner/fax/coffemaker/dishwasher/go-cart in the faculty
office may (or may not) have the ability to accept different OCR software,
but getting that changed would be more laborious than typing in diacritical
marks through the old hunt-and-peck method.

Once upon a time, when I wore bell-bottoms something like my nine year-old
daughter now wears, I had advanced placement in calculus when I went to
college. Perhaps it's time to dust off some math skills, eh?

Nope, I have no math skills, only linguistics skills.

(For math there's Equation Editor, anyway.)

Thanks again.

John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Hi Ms. Barnhill,

Thank you for your comment. I've posted two more general comments below, as
response to Mr. Mayor. I suspect you are correct and that nothing can be
done with these files to make them into text that can be edited.

I recognized your name from a conversation thread last spring about notes
and bibliographies, a basic function in Word that proves useless to me as a
scholar, by the way, for all the reasons mentioned in the thread.

Somewhere you had mentioned Dick McBrien and teaching Latin, which caught my
eye since a good friend of mine was McBrien's TA at Notre Dame and I've
taught Latin (among other things) at the graduate level.

Your comment about finding Word more intuitive than WordPerfect also caught
my eye since I, and so many of my colleagues, curiously find just the
opposite. Almost all of us use WordPerfect, some switching from Word to Word
Perfect, as do most of the administrative assistants, because of the
simplicity of commands, transparency of codes entered, with the ability to
see them and adjust them, and the lack of pre-formatted settings that you
don't want and need to be turned off. This last matter is a particular
problem when editing together large documents, with chapters done by various
people or committees, that have many different embedded settings. (There is a
conversation begun on 8/15 on headers and page numbers, and another one on
8/16 concerning default settings for footnotes/endnotes, in which I blathered
a bit to Mr. Buckland and Mr. Mayor about the opaqueness of Word.)

Since the ability to use global commands and adapt specific templates, both
of which Mr. Buckland and Mr. Mayor find to be advantages in Word, provide
little benefit to academics, but are good for the general marketplace,
perhaps cuique suum. Different software programs for differing needs.

Thank you for your time, which I appreciate.

John

"Prof. JR" wrote in message
Texts have arrived that were scanned into pdf format. My administrative
assistant, whose computer has Adobe Acrobat, converted the files to rtf
for
me. When I opened the files in Word 2007 they could be read, but the
files
were treated as pictures not text, and I was unable to edit and process
them
as text.

Is there a way to open these files in Word 2007 so that they can be edited
as text documents?

Thank you for any help that you can give.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Hi Grammatim,

Hah! Obscure to whom? g They're not essays from a journal devoted to
athematic aorists improperly parsed by Liddell & Scott, but they are essays
from the early twentieth century, and from journals such as "Revue des
sciences philosophiques et theologiques," which may well be more obscure than
essays on certain types of second aorists g! Indeed, none are in JSTOR,
sorry to say.

John

PS Weren't you in on the conversation about creating a header as well as a
page number in the upper-right corner? I appreciated the many comments that
folks had, and it truly helped to understand the basic approach of Microsoft,
but I'm not sure I was heard by some when I said that the various
pre-formatted options actually obscure and hinder rather than clarify and
help.

"grammatim" wrote:

On Aug 20, 11:33 am, Prof. JR
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I won't reply to all of this but will expand my original comment a little
based on your additional information about how these PDFs have been
acquired. I suspect the PDF probably did come from some sort of MFD
(multifunction device). My brother frequently sends me crooked, ugly (but
readable) PDFs created on such a machine, which offers the option of
scanning a document as if to fax it but then sending it to the computer as a
PDF instead. What you get is of just about the same usefulness as a paper
fax when it comes to working with it in Word.

My flatbed scanner (not an MFD) offers various document scanning options.
First one selects "Text & Graphic(s) as Image," "Text as Image," "Editable
Text," or "Editable Text with Graphic(s)." I haven't explored all these
options since I use the scanner primarily for image scanning (which is the
Scan Picture rather than Scan Document option and has entirely different
settings). After choosing one of those settings, you can choose the output
(the choice can include email, fax, printer, Clipboard, etc.), but if you
choose "Save to file," you aren't given any indication what sort of file
you're saving to until you're done; then the choices are PDF, TEXT, HTML,
and Rich Text.

If I choose "Editable Text" and save as a PDF, the document is saved in PDF
format with *selectable* text, but if you actually select it and copy/paste
into another document, the result is risible. It turns out that sending the
document directly to WordPad results in a much more usable result.

"Prof. JR" wrote in message
Texts have arrived that were scanned into pdf format. My
administrative
assistant, whose computer has Adobe Acrobat, converted the files to rtf
for
me. When I opened the files in Word 2007 they could be read, but the
files
were treated as pictures not text, and I was unable to edit and process
them
as text.

Is there a way to open these files in Word 2007 so that they can be
edited
as text documents?

Thank you for any help that you can give.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi John,

By any chance is it possible for you to provide or create a link to a typical(?) sample library PDF that you're wanting to convert
into text in Word? (i.e. on a blog/website/free online file storage service (http://workspace.officelive.com
or http://skydrive.live.com for example)?

================)
"Prof. JR" wrote in message ...
Hi Folks,

As Ms. Barnhill suggests above, ILL libraries may have scanned these files
in as pictures because Word treats them as such, as does other software that
I have. I'm not sure I can actually arrive at text that the conversion
software, mentioned by Mr. Mayor and Mr. Buckland, will be able to read.
Maybe I'm out of luck and must return to the scriptorium of word processing,
carefully entering the text by hand.

John
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Hi Mr. Buckland,

I've posted a fairly typical article, this one in French, on my Office Live
workspace. Do you need to be able to view or edit, and, if so, do you need
to be put on the viewer or editor list? If so, how best to do that?

The particular essay is posted twice: one in the pdf form in which it
arrived from ILL and the other in the rtf, using Word 2007, as it was
converted using Adobe Acrobat.

This essay also shows another problem I've not solved but which I presume
will resolve once, and if, editable text is obtained. The pdf document was
scanned two pages at a time for each page, and they run side-ways
(vertically) from bottom to top. (Whoever scanned it just plunked the
journal on the computer and copied in a way that produced two-on-one copies.)
This is no problem in Adobe because you just rotate the screen for viewing
and printing out. The same positioning appears in Word, two-on-one, vertical
from bottom to top. The good news/bad news: the good news is that because
Word reads this as a picture it can be rotated; the bad news is that once
rotated the length (which would typically be 11" if printed out) now fits
across the width (8 1/2" if printed out) and so text is lost on the right
side.

Please let me know how to proceed. Thanks for your help.

John

"Prof. JR" wrote in message ...
Hi Folks,

As Ms. Barnhill suggests above, ILL libraries may have scanned these files
in as pictures because Word treats them as such, as does other software that
I have. I'm not sure I can actually arrive at text that the conversion
software, mentioned by Mr. Mayor and Mr. Buckland, will be able to read.
Maybe I'm out of luck and must return to the scriptorium of word processing,
carefully entering the text by hand.

John
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Hi Ms. Barnhill,

Thanks for your reply. I've already tried that but had no success. Because
Word considers the document to be a picture the "Page Layout" tab on the
Ribbon will not activate and I cannot use the €śorientation€ť setting.
Clicking on the page brings up a salmon-colored "Format" tab, above which the
words "Picture Tools" appear, but no amount of searching in that tab produced
a "landscape" orientation as such. Maybe its possible somehow and Im just
unable to find the option.

John

"Prof. JR" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

As Ms. Barnhill suggests above, ILL libraries may have scanned these
files
in as pictures because Word treats them as such, as does other software
that
I have. I'm not sure I can actually arrive at text that the conversion
software, mentioned by Mr. Mayor and Mr. Buckland, will be able to read.
Maybe I'm out of luck and must return to the scriptorium of word
processing,
carefully entering the text by hand.

John
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On the Page Layout tab you can access the familiar Page Setup dialog using
the dialog launcher in the Page Setup group (or double-click the ruler as in
previous versions).

"Prof. JR" wrote in message
Hi Ms. Barnhill,

Thanks for your reply. I've already tried that but had no success.
Because
Word considers the document to be a picture the "Page Layout" tab on the
Ribbon will not activate and I cannot use the "orientation" setting.

"Prof. JR" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

As Ms. Barnhill suggests above, ILL libraries may have scanned these
files
in as pictures because Word treats them as such, as does other
software
that
I have. I'm not sure I can actually arrive at text that the
conversion
software, mentioned by Mr. Mayor and Mr. Buckland, will be able to
read.
Maybe I'm out of luck and must return to the scriptorium of word
processing,
carefully entering the text by hand.

John
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Hi Ms. Barnhill,

Sorry, but this doesn't work either: The entire Page Layout tab , including
the Page Setup dialogue pane, which otherwise appears when clicking the arrow
in the lower right-hand corner, simply does not activate with this rtf
document. No amount of double-clicking the ruler produces any results.

You can, oddly enough, sort of insert a header or footer -- just fooling
around here to see what happens: no actual header or footer enters the text
as such, but this command does enter a blank page almost in-between the text
pages, upon which, and only upon which, a header or footer will appear. Go
figure.

John

"Prof. JR" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

As Ms. Barnhill suggests above, ILL libraries may have scanned these
files
in as pictures because Word treats them as such, as does other
software
that
I have. I'm not sure I can actually arrive at text that the
conversion
software, mentioned by Mr. Mayor and Mr. Buckland, will be able to
read.
Maybe I'm out of luck and must return to the scriptorium of word
processing,
carefully entering the text by hand.

John
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi John,

If I recall correctly, when you set a file to be able to be shared there is an option along the lines of - Let this file be viewed
without signing in-, which I assume lets it be downloaded. When you chose that option it should give you a web URL to the specific
file location.

===============
"Prof. JR" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes -- I agreed wholeheartedly with the dumbing-down complaint.

And I inquired about the WP compatibility features found in Word
through 2003 -- and learned that they were removed from 2007.

(Athematic aorists are all Greek to me.)

On Aug 20, 2:52*pm, Prof. JR wrote:
[...]

"grammatim" wrote:
On Aug 20, 11:33 am, Prof. JR
wrote:
[...]

John- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Hi Mr. Buckland,

So far as I know, the basic entree to documents posted in Office Live
happens when you invite someone, by entering their e-mail address, to be
either a viewer (read-only capacity) or an editor (work with document).

On the invitation page there is a box below the €śEditors€ť and €śViewers€ť
lines that reads "Let everyone view this without signing in," but this
requires an e-mail address for the invitee(s) and gives them a read-only copy.

I may be a chowderhead here, but I think I need to enter an e-mail address
and then also, should the article need more than read-only status, enter an
e-mail address into the "Editors" field.

Thanks.

John