Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TEAM NORTON

Default remove all section breaks quickly?

I copied an Adobe document into Word and now the section breaks are all over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I can delete the
section breaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I delete them all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align the text? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi team

TEAM NORTON wrote:
I copied an Adobe document into Word and now the section breaks are all over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I can delete the
section breaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I delete them all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align the text? Thanks.

See:

Cleaning up text pasted from the Web (by Suzanne S. Barnhill and Dave Rado)
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Format...eanWebText.htm

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DragonWing DragonWing is offline

I have a very large merge document, when I do the merge I have section breaks
- new page. I want to remove all of them. When I do a find ^b and replace
with nothing on an individual basis it works, when I try a Replace All I get
0 replacements. Any idea what the problem is? The document is over 500
pages long and there are Section Breaks (new page) every 7 pages. I would
hat eto have to click thru each one individually!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If they're really section breaks, search for ^b and replace with nothing.

"TEAM NORTON" TEAM wrote in message
I copied an Adobe document into Word and now the section breaks are all

over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I can delete the
section breaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I delete them

all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align the text?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are the section breaks visible -- you have Show Non-printing
Characters turned on? (It won't find Xrefs if their field codes aren't
showing, so maybe this is the same.)

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

"TEAM NORTON" TEAM wrote in message
I copied an Adobe document into Word and now the section breaks are all

over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I can delete the
section breaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I delete them

all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align the text?

Thanks.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Parsons Parsons is offline

I was able to clear section breaks, but not column breaks. I tried selecting
all my text (87 pages) and reformatting for one column, but that didn't work.
Any suggestions?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If they're really section breaks, search for ^b and replace with nothing.

"TEAM NORTON" TEAM wrote in message
I copied an Adobe document into Word and now the section breaks are all

over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I can delete the
section breaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I delete them

all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align the text?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To search for column breaks, use ^n. You can find a list of the special
characters you can search for by clicking the More button in the Find dialog
and then choosing Special.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If they're really section breaks, search for ^b and replace with nothing.

so
all may benefit.

"TEAM NORTON" TEAM wrote in message
I copied an Adobe document into Word and now the section breaks are all

over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I can delete
the
section breaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I delete them

all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align the text?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tinkeysmom tinkeysmom is offline

Did you ever figure out how to delete the sections breaks? I have a document
and cannot find them even when I do a search for them with the ^b. I have
recently upgraded to 2007 and I can't figure out how to remove this section
break! It's driving me crazy!! Kim

"TEAM NORTON" wrote:

I copied an Adobe document into Word and now the section breaks are all over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I can delete the
section breaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I delete them all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align the text? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Are you sure there are section breaks in the document? What displays if you
show nonprinting marks? Note that you may find it easier to work with the
breaks in Draft view.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"TEAM NORTON" wrote:

I copied an Adobe document into Word and now the section breaks are all
over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I can delete the
section breaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I delete them
all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align the text?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Travlr1974 Travlr1974 is offline

I can't remove section breaks either, it's driving me mad!!! All the help I
can find on any forum says to switch to Draft View, select the section break
and delete it. But I can't select the section break! It's a black line, the
mouse becomes a double line with an arrow pointing up and another pointing
down. It can't be deleted. If I delete the space before it the paragraphs
merge, tapping enter creates a new section break!

I can't believe how un-userfriendly Office 2007 is, I was a pro of 2003 and
I feel stupid when using 2007: everything is hidden, complex and follows a
totally absurd logic... Has this version been user-tested for acceptance at
all??!

"TEAM NORTON" wrote:

I copied an Adobe document into Word and now the section breaks are all
over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I can delete the
section breaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I delete them
all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align the text?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That doesn't sound to me like a section break. When I view a section break
in Draft view in Word 2007, it looks just as it did in Word 2003:

=================Section Break (Next Page)==================

What you are describing sounds like a border; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm

"TEAM NORTON" wrote:

I copied an Adobe document into Word and now the section breaks are
all
over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I can delete
the
section breaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I delete
them
all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align the text?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See if http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm applies.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"TEAM NORTON" wrote:

I copied an Adobe document into Word and now the section breaks are
all
over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I can delete
the
section breaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I delete
them
all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align the text?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Of course, "white space" is relevant for Print Layout view only.

A paragraph border, as Suzanne suggested, possibly together with "Page break
before" formatting, seems more likely to be the problem.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"TEAM NORTON" wrote:

I copied an Adobe document into Word and now the section breaks are
all
over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I can delete
the
section breaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I delete
them
all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align the text?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CDani CDani is offline

I also am having trouble deleting the "hidden" section breaks. One row in a
table is section one, the very next row magically becomes section 2. I always
have "display all formatting marks" on, and certainlly know what a section
break looks like. The tables have no visible borders. But the border
between section 1 row and section 2 row has a slightly darker and heavier
dotted line. I have found the only way to get rid of the mystery section
breaks (which do not come up on "find"), is to do a column break before and
after the offending row, delete the row and retype. Not something I am
enjoying in this 23 page document.

"TEAM NORTON" wrote:

I copied an Adobe document into Word and now the section breaks are all
over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I can delete the
section breaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I delete them
all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align the text?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I can confirm that section breaks inserted into table cells may not be
"seen" by Word when performing a Find & Replace in Print Layout view. In
Draft view, I can find the break but I cannot delete it by replacing with
nothing. Instead, a manual deletion is required. This definitely seems like
a bug.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"TEAM NORTON" wrote:

I copied an Adobe document into Word and now the section breaks are
all
over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I can
delete the
section breaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I delete
them
all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align the text?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mcarpeneto[_3_] mcarpeneto[_3_] is offline

I too can confirm that in Word 2002 SP3 I cannot use Find and Replace to
delete Section Breaks in a table. I can find 'em, but I can't replace 'em
automatically. I just finished manually deleting 85 Section Breaks. I hope
Microsoft, or someone, creates a fix or a workaround for this problem.

BTW, I can automatically replace Section Break (new page) with Section Break
(continuous). I highlight the document and then go to Page
Setup/Layout/Section start, change New Page to Continuous, and then click OK.
Unfortunately, Delete Section Break is not an option.

"TEAM NORTON" wrote:

I copied an Adobe document into Word and now the section breaks are
all
over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I can
delete the
section breaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I delete
them
all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align the text?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

There are no workarounds or fixes available (yet), as far as I know. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"TEAM NORTON" wrote:

I copied an Adobe document into Word and now the section breaks
are
all
over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I can
delete the
section breaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I
delete
them
all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align the
text?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

I think to delete them you first have to find them and then manipulate
the found range a bit, split the table, manipulate the found range a
bit more, then rejoin the table:

Sub ScratchMacro()
Dim i As Long
Dim oRng As Range
Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Range
With oRng.Find
.Text = Chr(12)
While .Execute
oRng.Select
oRng.MoveEnd wdCharacter, 1
oRng.Collapse wdCollapseStart
With Selection
.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
.SplitTable
.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
.Delete Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
.Delete Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
End With
oRng.Collapse Direction:=wdCollapseEnd
Wend
End With
End Sub

"TEAM NORTON" wrote:

I copied an Adobe document into Word and now thesectionbreaks
are
all
over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I can
delete the
sectionbreaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I
delete
them
all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align the
text?
Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

That seems to be working just fine. Very nice!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"TEAM NORTON" wrote:

I copied an Adobe document into Word and now thesectionbreaks
are
all
over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I can
delete the
sectionbreaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I
delete
them
all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align the
text?
Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Stephan,

Actually it needs a qualifier to keep from tripping up on a break found
outside a table:

Sub ScratchMacro()
Dim i As Long
Dim oRng As Range
Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Range
With oRng.Find
.Text = Chr(12)
While .Execute
oRng.Select
If oRng.Information(wdWithInTable) Then
oRng.MoveEnd wdCharacter, 1
oRng.Collapse wdCollapseStart
With Selection
.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
.SplitTable
.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
.Delete Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
.Delete Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
End With
Else
oRng.Delete
oRng.Collapse Direction:=wdCollapseEnd
End If
Wend
End With
End Sub

Stefan Blom wrote:
That seems to be working just fine. Very nice!

On Aug 18, 3:13 am, "Stefan Blom" wrote:
There are no workarounds or fixes available (yet), as far as I know.
:-( --

"TEAM NORTON" wrote:

I copied an Adobe document into Word and now thesectionbreaks
are
all
over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I can
delete the
sectionbreaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I
delete
them
all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align the
text?
Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Stefan,

Actually on closer look it doesn't need to be so complicated at all. I can
only guess that using the selection is what makes it uncooperative. This
seems to work just fine for all section breaks (in or not in a table):

Sub ScratchMacro()
Dim oRgn As Range
Set oRgn = ActiveDocument.Range
With oRgn.Find
.Text = Chr(12)
While .Execute
oRgn.Delete
oRgn.Collapse Direction:=wdCollapseEnd
Wend
End With
End Sub

"TEAM NORTON" wrote:

I copied an Adobe document into Word and now thesectionbreaks
are
all
over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I
can delete the
sectionbreaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I
delete
them
all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align
the text?
Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

That's even better. Hopefully the OP is still monitoring this thread.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"TEAM NORTON" wrote:

I copied an Adobe document into Word and now thesectionbreaks
are
all
over
the place leaving me with very ragged and rambling text. I
can delete the
sectionbreaks one at a time but there are thousands. Can I
delete
them
all
(without deleting the text - done that already!), or align
the text?
Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mcarpeneto[_3_] mcarpeneto[_3_] is offline

Thanks, Greg
Your code worked for me.