Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Webb Graham Webb is offline

Default How can I stop Word 2002 spell checker?

I have de-selected the "check spelling as you type" option, but the book icon
is still flickering away at the bottom of my screen. This prevents me from
seeing the endnote references when I hover the cursor over a main body
reference number. It is extremely irritating as I have a few hundred
references to check, how can I stop this flickering?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

The book icon flickers when it is also checking grammar, and all the other
settings on the Spelling & Grammar options, not just spelling. Also turn off
the Auto detect langauge option in Set Language (have the whole document
selected for this - Ctrl+A).
Or you can select the whole document, Set Language, Do not check spelling or
grammar.
Personally I would wait or do something else; but if you do the above,
remember to turn them back on and do the spell check when you have finished
constructing the document before you send it to the boss/customer ;-)
Hope this help
DeanH