Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John D John D is offline

Default Can't find "Link to Previous" icon - page numbers in section heade

I've got a 3 page TOC and 40 page document. There is a section break between
the tOC and the rest of the document. I only want page numbers in the headers
of the 40 pages - not in the TOC. And I want the TOC to refer to the page
numbers in the 40 page part of the doc.

I can't find the "Link to previous" icon to break the connection between the
sections when I click the header on the first page of section 2. I don't
really see an 'official' toolbar for "Header/Footer". When I click in the
Header I get a drop down menu "Header/Footer". It has automatic text/fields I
can enter, but no "Link to previous" icon. I see no such icon anywhere.

???

Thanks

John D
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Link to Previous is in the Navigation group on the Design tab of the
contextual Header & Footer Tools that appear when you have the header or
footer open for editing.

"John D" wrote in message
I've got a 3 page TOC and 40 page document. There is a section break
between
the tOC and the rest of the document. I only want page numbers in the
headers
of the 40 pages - not in the TOC. And I want the TOC to refer to the page
numbers in the 40 page part of the doc.

I can't find the "Link to previous" icon to break the connection between
the
sections when I click the header on the first page of section 2. I don't
really see an 'official' toolbar for "Header/Footer". When I click in the
Header I get a drop down menu "Header/Footer". It has automatic
text/fields I
can enter, but no "Link to previous" icon. I see no such icon anywhere.

???

Thanks

John D

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John D John D is offline

Default Can't find "Link to Previous" icon - page numbers in section h

Suzanne

Thanks -

i was about to reply that I don't know what a "Navigation Group" in the
"Design Tab" of a "contextual Header and Footer Tool" is - BUT THEN - I
suddenly happened to look at the right side of the Word Document window and -
LO AND BEHOLD - there was a toolbar that somehow got anchored to the right
side - not top or bottom.

I don't really know how it got there - I'm not in the habit of positioning
toolbars like that - but there it was. Must have been some spastic seizure of
the toolbar ripped from what I consider "normal' to that very odd and
unexpected place.

And - by gosh - there was the "break icon".

SORRY - and thanks.

John D

"John D" wrote in message
I've got a 3 page TOC and 40 page document. There is a section break
between
the tOC and the rest of the document. I only want page numbers in the
headers
of the 40 pages - not in the TOC. And I want the TOC to refer to the page
numbers in the 40 page part of the doc.

I can't find the "Link to previous" icon to break the connection between
the
sections when I click the header on the first page of section 2. I don't
really see an 'official' toolbar for "Header/Footer". When I click in the
Header I get a drop down menu "Header/Footer". It has automatic
text/fields I
can enter, but no "Link to previous" icon. I see no such icon anywhere.

???

Thanks

John D

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John D John D is offline

correct - 2003. I've got Office Pro 2003 - the biggest thing keeping me from
moving to 2007 is all the databases I've got in Access - databases for me are
the most complex - I understand them, but this old dog ain't eager to learn
new tricks - I can scratch my back just fine with the post I've got.

Thanks