Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sherri

Default Opening a template file and saving it as a document

I have created a report template in Word 2003, and want to make sure no one
makes any changes to it, nor saves it as a .dot file. I have saved it as
read-only. Most people double click on it to open it, but if they do
file-open instead, it prompts to save as a .dot file instead of a .doc file.
I understand why it does this, but is there anyway to change it so this
doesn't happen? Also is this the same for templates set up in excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U2hlcnJp?=,

I have created a report template in Word 2003, and want to make sure no one
makes any changes to it, nor saves it as a .dot file. I have saved it as
read-only. Most people double click on it to open it, but if they do
file-open instead, it prompts to save as a .dot file instead of a .doc file.
I understand why it does this, but is there anyway to change it so this
doesn't happen?

No. At least, not short of using an AutoOpen macro that would do something like
create a new document from the template, then close the template, leaving the
user with the new document in front of them.

Templates contain file structures that documents do not. And there's no way to
"convert" a template to a document.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org