Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ravi Garg

Default How to use FIND for items in list with Automatic Numbering.

Hi,
We have a list of about 100 items in a list made with automatic numbering.
I am unable to find item number fifty by giving '50' in FIND AND REPLACE.

I want to know is it possible to find items in a list with their number and
if yes, how?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?UmF2aSBHYXJn?=,

We have a list of about 100 items in a list made with automatic numbering.
I am unable to find item number fifty by giving '50' in FIND AND REPLACE.

I want to know is it possible to find items in a list with their number and
if yes, how?

Not if you're using Word's automatic numbering, no. If you convert the
numbering to plain text, then it would work. Or if you'd used SEQ or ListNum
fields instead of automatic numbering, it would work.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ravi Garg

Cindy, I have tried using ListNum field but still unable to use FIND. Can you
please tell how to use FIND with ListNum or SEQ fields.

I would appreciate if you could also tell how to convert existing AutoNum
fields to plain text without deleting them and writing numbers again manually.

We have hundreds of documents and want to use FIND AND REPLACE with item
number in a list.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?UmF2aSBHYXJn?=,

We have a list of about 100 items in a list made with automatic numbering.
I am unable to find item number fifty by giving '50' in FIND AND REPLACE.

I want to know is it possible to find items in a list with their number and
if yes, how?

Not if you're using Word's automatic numbering, no. If you convert the
numbering to plain text, then it would work. Or if you'd used SEQ or ListNum
fields instead of automatic numbering, it would work.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?UmF2aSBHYXJn?=,

I have tried using ListNum field but still unable to use FIND. Can you
please tell how to use FIND with ListNum or SEQ fields.

Ah. I see it doesn't work with ListNum. But it does work with SEQ. I did this:
Ctrl+F9. Within the field brackets type SEQ TestSeries. Press F9 to update the
field (show the result). Now copy/paste a few times, Ctrl+A, F9 to get a series
of numbers. find/Replace.

Of course, users don't want to go through all this. It usually works pretty well
to save the basic SEQ field (plus any punctuation) as an AutoText entry. The
user inserts that as required.

I would appreciate if you could also tell how to convert existing AutoNum
fields to plain text without deleting them and writing numbers again manually.

AutoNum fields (not automatic numbering)? Any other fields in the document that
need to be retained, or can one zap them all (convert to plain text)?

Ctrl+A, Ctrl+Shift+F9 will get everything (in the selection, in this case the
body text).

To get only certain ones, scattered about, it would require a macro.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I find it rather annoying that Word can find "numbered items" for the
purpose of cross-referencing them but can't find them with Go To, which
would be ideal. Go To does work for everything else you can cross-reference.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi ?B?UmF2aSBHYXJn?=,

[...]

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)